The Hidden Treasures of D.C.

The Hidden Treasures of D.C.

Living in close proximity to the center of the free world can seem a little underwhelming at times to us residents of the greater Metropolitan area. D.C. is just a short subway ride away; seniors graduate at DAR Constitution Hall and prom takes place at The National Press Club. Student interactions with the nation’s capital seem to be the norm, which can be a double-edged sword in that students may not fully appreciate the diversity of activities in the city. Here are some cool people, places and events that may create some new adventures for you in the nation’s capital.

-Outside of the Gallery Place/Chinatown Metro station, you may be able to catch some local percussion bands playing for free.
The Renwick Gallery, located right near the White House on Pennsylvania Ave. This small museum is part of the Smithsonian Institution, which means admission is free. Every few months there are new exhibits. When I chanced upon this gem for the first time, there was featured artwork from Japanese Internment Camps in America during WWII. You never know what historical wonders you may learn about.
The National Gallery of Art — Sculpture Garden offers a pleasant hideaway from the stone and marble museums on The Mall. With restaurants and tiny cafes nearby, make a picnic and enjoy your food while sitting at the giant fountain (which is transformed into an ice rink in the winter). On a sunny spring or summer day, the fountain and surrounding garden art become a nice oasis and a short break from walking.
-Since some museums unaffiliated with the Smithsonian Institute can be expensive, the International Spy Museum offers some alternative adventures if you don’t want to spend $18 on general admission. If  you split the bill with a group of friends, you can go on Spy in the City — an hour-long interactive mission across D.C. using a GPS device for as low of a price as $4. Others include Operation Spy, which takes place within the museum and conducts a mission in the Middle East to solve an international crisis. Lastly, there is Spy at Night — an after hours mission that tests your espionage skills and trivia.

0
0