The Fall Playlist: An Album Preview

The Fall Playlist: An Album Preview

This fall, active music listeners can expect an array of albums coming out from a variety of genres.

Many artists dropping albums for fall 2012 face the struggle of topping their previous hits or making a comeback following a hiatus. But in the end, when it comes to anything music related, artists ultimately fight for the coveted number one spot on the Billboard 200 list.

The Billboard list ranks all of music’s top 200 albums based on amount sold and airplay, driving listeners to buy those nearer to the top. The only way to be a top 200 album is to get a lot of air time on the radio, and numerous plays on various music apps.

No Doubt: “Push and Shove”

The pop-rock group, headed by Gwen Stefani, has finally come out with a new album after eleven years. The album, entitled “Push and Shove,” is definitely one of the best since their singles collection in 2003. It contains two of their newest singles “Settle Down” and “Looking Hot.”

Paralleling itself with the group’s typical technique of mixing genres, like dub and pop, all of the songs on “Push and Shove” have some kind of reggae touch to them. This addition is initially what gave No Doubt fans, something different from the typical rock band.

No Doubt isn’t all rock. Several of their songs could be categorized as R&B due to the more mature themes, like relationships and marriage as well as containing some aspects of rhythm and blues. The album shifts from upbeat to ballad quickly, showing the group’s diversity.

“Push and Shove” is one for the books and should expect good ratings partly because of the group’s comeback and because of the album’s dynamic composition.

GOOD Music: “Kanye West Presents GOOD Music Cruel Summer”

Speaking of “good,” Kanye West’s rap label, GOOD Music, was released Sept. 14.

GOOD Music was founded in 2004 with twelve signed artists. These artists, Common, John Legend, Malik Yusef, Big Sean, Kid Cudi, Mr Hudson, Cyhi the Prince, Mos Def, Pusha T, D’banj, Teyana Taylor and Bon Iver, were all signed periodically, though, in order for West to keep a close watch on their progressing careers.

“Cruel Summer,” a highly anticipated work, topped West’s previous album, “My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy,” which dropped in 2010. This album consists of all of the artists of GOOD Music on different tracks, collaborating with each other while also featuring other artists.

One may expect to hear repetitive beats as in most rap songs, but they are nonetheless entertaining when actually listening to the words.

Remember, young people, unless the edited version is purchased, this album advises parental supervision!

P!nk: “The Truth About Love”

Four years later, the pop sensation has released yet another album that, coincidentally, talks about love, featuring her hit single, “Blow Me (One Last Kiss).”

In its debut, “The Truth About Love” reached number one on Billboard 200 and has yet to reach there again.

Compared to her other albums, this album’s track list is listed in somewhat of a story between a man and a woman. Beginning with “Are We All We Are,” a song about the way people are when it comes to love, the “story” then moves into the actual relationship between the man an woman and then transfers into the heartbreak with both “The Truth About Love” and “Beam Me Up.” This story ends when the entire situation makes full circle with “Here Comes the Weekend,” an appropriate closing for the album.

“The Truth About Love” is definitely a memorable album solely for the dynamics and the track titles. P!nk knows exactly how to reel in listeners when it comes to those.

These three albums are sure standouts and will most likely change anyone’s opinion on any of these artists, because they step somewhat out of their comfort zone to please their fans.

0
0