Six Was the Question–Two WJ QSA Members Thought They Had the Answer

Six Was the Question--Two WJ QSA Members Thought They Had the Answer

Question 6, one of the most controversial referendums passed in Maryland on Oct. 6, stirred debate and sparked fierce advertising and commercial campaigns. The referendum, which asked voters whether or not they would want to instate the Civil Marriage Protection Act that would allow same-sex couples to marry, was one of the contentions voted on with the 2012 election cycle. Throughout the state, commercials have aired and signs have been posted arguing one way or another for the highly-debated piece of legislation. But consider the work that goes on behind the scenes that is put into these commercials, which include cardboard signs and radio announcements.

Queer-Straight Alliance (QSA) member senior Mandee Mapes has done major work as a proponent of Question 6. She has attended canvasing events and posted signs advocating for the passage of the referendum  Most of all, she is dedicated to the work she does. On Saturday, Oct. 29,  Mapes was joined by fellow members, senior Jenny St. Clair, QSA president,  and senior Laura Ventura, vice president, as they attended an event near the Universitarian Universalist Church of Rockville (UUCR) run by Marylanders for Marriage Equality which sought to promote and educate people about Question 6, and gather valuable information on what the voters think about it.

St. Clair noted in an email that it was a memorable experience.

St. Clair, Laura Ventura and Mapes are all strong advocates for marriage equality. The QSA recently held a petition in the front of WJ that asked students to sign a pledge to respect all people regardless of gender or orientation. Mapes was the primary organizer for the door-to-door canvassing event held at UUCR, and says that while Marylanders for Marriage Equality usually hold such events around Silver Spring, she made a change this time. In a email, Mapes clarified that, “a lot of our QSA members belong to that church.”

Mapes in particular has been active not only in promoting gender equality, but also in specifically working for the passage of Question 6. Mapes worked with  Marylanders For Marriage Equality. She estimated that she had worked around three to four hours per day, five days a week. During the last couple of weeks before the election she was put in charge of around 20 coalition partners.

On election day, Mapes worked the phones  the organization and then spent the rest of her day eleccioneering and supervising polls at North Bethesda MS and WJ. The referendum passed with 52 percent of the vote.

“It was a huge victory,” said Mapes, adding that, “we’re one step closer to a marriage equal nation.”

The Queer Alliance meets every Wednesday in room 109 and is sponsored by teachers Christopher Murray and Aishling McGinty.

For more information on the Queer Alliance, please visit their home page at http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/SCHOOLS/wjhs/orgs/queer/

0
0