Did You Receive Your Weekly H.U.G.? Dec. 16-22

Local- On Mon. Dec. 17, the school blood drive took place throughout the day. Inova Blood Servies supported the drive at WJ, and students who signed up chose half-hour time blocks from 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Only students age 16 and up were allowed to participate, and a parental permission form was required for students under the age of 18.

Source: Walterjohnson.com

US- The Newtown, Conn. shooting, which took place last Fri., Dec. 14, continues to have lasting and far-reaching effects on the nation. The shooting, which took place at Sandy Hook Elementary School, killed 20 children and six adults. Many are begining to question the initial coverage of the incident: looking back, many facts were misrepresented in an effort to get the news out as quickly as possible. Originally, for instance, the killer was identified not as Adam Lanza, but as Ryan Lanza — a man who, for a short period of time, remained a mass-murderer in the country’s eyes–because Adam had been carrying Ryan’s ID. Gun restrictions also continue to be a big source of controversy, but the Senate is taking steps to begin to look at taking on this massive issue. Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) of California introduced a bill on Dec. 18 similar to the one she helped sponsor 18 years ago. Schools, too, are taking steps in recognition of this country-shaking event. WJ, one of the many schools modifying procedures in light of the shooting, will now lock the door leading into the auditorium during the school day as a safety measure following the incident.

Source: NPR news

Global- Seven people working to prevent the spread of Polio in undeveloped countries were shot and killed on Tues., Dec. 18 in Karachi, Pakistan. The shooters have not yet been identified. According to police spokesperson Imran Shoukat, the shootings were a planned out affair, each taking place within 15 minutes in three different locations within Karachi. The Taliban has been known to dennounce anti-polio measures as a Western scheme. Five women died and two men were wounded as a result of the attacks. Two of the women were in the process of giving polio drops to children when they were shot. These attacks add to the three other smiliar shooting incidents which took place earlier this year, including an adolescent girl, volunteering for a polio eradication program, who was shot by gunmen.

Source: The Guardian

0
0