Has baseball lost its cool?

Isaac Snow, Staff Writer

Baseball is a classic sport, known as “America’s Pastime” for a reason. It’s one of the most loved sports in the world, and most definitely has not lost its cool. It’s a beautiful game, filled with excitement, happiness and fans that truly love the game.

Baseball has been around since 1846 and has undergone many changes that have only made it a better game. It was one of America’s first popular sports and remains popular today.

Some might say that baseball is boring and that it takes forever; however, the beauty of baseball is that it has no clock. There’s no time limit on how long you have to play and the game doesn’t stop until someone wins. Others might say that baseball has no action, but in baseball, there are home runs, amazing catches, diving stops, amazing feats and much more. Still others might say that nobody goes to baseball games anymore and everybody would rather go to football or basketball games, but in the 2016 MLB regular season, 73.2 billion people went to go see their favorite baseball team compared to 37.1 billion people who went to NFL games and a measly 21.9 million people who went to NBA games.

Baseball has only been getting more and more exciting and fun in the past 50 years. Baseball has seen the invention and rise of the designated hitter, who provides more excitement to fans as he only hits and is not in the field.

In addition, baseball has seen new teams emerge year after year. There have been 11 champions since 2000, and teams like the Cubs and Indians (both who were in the World Series this year) have finally become good after years of being bad. The series went to seven games, with the Cubs breaking their 108-year curse of not winning a World Series.

Unlike the NFL and other sports, rich teams are not making it impossible for not so rich teams to compete and be good. The New York Yankees are one of the richest teams in the MLB and have bought nearly their whole team. In contrast, the Cubs are right in the middle of the pack in terms of payroll and won the World Series with talent built up through young players.

Home runs, diving catches, great plays and great fans are all parts of what makes baseball a great sport. “Baseball was, is and will always be to me the best game in the world,” Babe Ruth once famously said. This describes exactly many people’s opinion on baseball. Baseball is, was and will forever be “America’s Game.”

34
6

Isaac Snow, Staff Writer
Sophomore Isaac snow is in his first year writing for The Pitch. In his free time, he enjoys baseball, writing, and spending time with his pals (three of which are on Pitch staff!) and family. 00
3 Comments

3 Responses to “Has baseball lost its cool?”

1. Anonymous on March 8th, 2017 4:06 pm

That’s not the authors name, it’s spelled Isaac

2. Anonymous on March 19th, 2017 8:36 am

Very True

3. hey dude on May 10th, 2018 10:45 am

Preach!!!!!!!! Baseball will always be the best sport!!!

• Has baseball lost its cool?

John McCain: one of America’s greatest public servants

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Serena was in the wrong

• Has baseball lost its cool?

NBA GOAT: LeBron or MJ: Point/Counterpoint

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Jake’s Take: My high school experience

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Are AP classes worth it?

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Anti-Semitism: the depressing, defining feature of the modern left

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Stop studying, just have fun

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Beach Week: Not the nightmare that your parents think it is

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Baseball

Jake’s Take: Which MLB teams are legit?

• Has baseball lost its cool?

Is Prom overrated?

Has baseball lost its cool?