New season of Riverdale as suspenseful as ever

The main characters of Riverdale all hangout at Pops, a diner. The second season premiered on October 11, 2017 and is full of suspense and excitement.

WARNING: THIS ARTICLE CONTAINS SPOILERS

The first season of Riverdale was well received by the general public on The CW and the ending left many wanting more. The teenage drama is filled with plenty of romance, mystery and comedy which created a lot of anticipation for the new season. This was proven in the heightened viewership in the season 2 premiere.

Riverdale averaged … 2.3 million watchers, making it the highest-rated and most-watched episode of the show to date,” Variety Magazine stated of the second season.

Many credit the increase to the suspenseful season one finale. That finale episode featured the protagonist’s father getting shot and left many people wondering what was going to be the fate of Fred Andrews.

“I was speechless for a good couple of minutes and I almost started crying,” junior Emily Tamaro said.

He is a beloved cast member and his traumatic experience haunted many fans. Although this event was hard for fans to watch, it definitely helped with ratings as many couldn’t wait to find out how he was doing.

The new episode answered some questions asked by fans everywhere, but brought up new mysteries as well. The disgraced teacher, Ms Grundy, guilty of statutory rape with Archie Andrews, was fatally choked to death in the season premiere. This created a new secret that the gang (and the audience) had to figure out. Some thought her death was well justified and necessary.

“She deserved it because she was not very kind to her children,” senior Anjali Lindsey said. Many felt that because of the questionable acts she engaged in with her students from all different towns, her death was fitting. Others were just puzzled.

“It was very confusing because she wasn’t connected to them,” Tamaro said.

Tamaro didn’t understand why she was killed and felt that it was random. Fans presumed her storyline ended when she moved towns, so it was unexpected when she was brought back into the plot just to die.

Jughead Jones’ sexuality is also a highly debated issue. Some think he should be asexual as it was depicted in the comics. It could be a breakthrough for the asexual community in pop culture, but he is dating a girl named Betty Jones.

“If they represent it a little more, then it could broaden the spectrum of sexuality seen on TV,” Lindsey said.

Lindsay as well as others feel that more people could relate to television if different sexualities were portrayed on Riverdale. They would gain more viewers and it would be very beneficial both for the show and people around the world struggling with their own identity.

Some, however, don’t think that that is a crucial part of the plot and like Jughead the way he is.

“I think that both sexualities fit his personality,” Tamaro said.

Tamaro doesn’t care what Jughead is and likes him with Betty. Many see them as a very fitting couple and don’t want that to end.

Even with disagreements in fans, season two is sure to be watched by many and more drama is anticipated.

0
0