News Digest

News+Digest

BB Gun shootings

Since September, there have been over 20 reports of BB gun shootings to the Montgomery County police Department, these shootings have taken place mainly near Germantown. The vandals have hit many fast-food restaurants and other establishments around the county, including RideOn buses. There’s currently a $10,000 reward to help catch the vandals.

Carbon Monoxide and fire scares in the DC and MoCo

Families in DC and Montgomery County were forced to evacuate their homes over Thanksgiving weekend because of carbon monoxide and fire incidents.

An eight story apartment building in Southwest DC had to evacuate because of “dangerously high levels” of carbon monoxide created by a boiler problem. The high levels of the potentially lethal gas prompted authorities to do a sweep of the building to make sure no one had passed out. Residents eventually were able to return to their apartments.

As well as the DC incident, officials responded to a carbon-monoxide detector in the White Oak area of Montgomery County. A small fire caused electrical problems in the building which displaced over 20 people early Saturday.  

A third incident occurred over the holiday weekend when a kitchen fire in Wheaton displaced residents of a small apartment building.

Incidents like these tend to occur in the earlier days of winter when the heat starts to be turned on again. It’s crucial that boilers and carbon monoxide detectors are monitored and working properly during this time of the year.

Board of Education Approves $1.83 Million Capital Improvements Program

The Montgomery County Board of Education approved a $1.83 billion six-year Capital Improvements program that will ease the stress of schools with the latest issues of overcrowding. There’s been an increase of 2,536 students from last year in the MCPS system, prompting the opening of a new Middle School for Bethesda-Chevy Chase cluster (opened this year) and a new Elementary School for Richard Montgomery, scheduled to open for the 2018-2019 school year.

1
0