WJ looks to recover after suicide death of student

This past weekend, the WJ community endured a tragic loss with the death by suicide of junior Tommy Silva. Principal Jennifer Baker broke the news on Sunday evening with a heartfelt email.

“[Silva’s] sudden death reminds us all of just how precious life is,” Baker wrote, “[Silva] will be missed tremendously by the WJ community.”

A friend and wrestling teammate of Silva’s shared his memories of him.

“[Silva] was a good kid; he was very nice and talkative,” he said.

Monday was a reflective day at Walter Johnson. Many teachers postponed due dates for assignments, quizzes and tests. There was additional support provided for struggling students including counselors and even emotional support dogs available to students.

Principal Baker sent out an email to staff and parents regarding school on Monday.

“All students in 1st period had the opportunity to hear from their teachers, learn where they could get help today and do some initial processing,” Baker wrote. “Additionally, we are planning on other activities this week for our students and discussing ways to debunk myths surrounding suicide and mental health.”

Many students have been spreading messages of love on social media and are sharing their stories of depression in hope that events like this don’t occur again. Sources of Strength,  a suicide prevention project, has been making anonymous videos which illustrate down moments of depression that have been running on the morning announcements.

A visitation for Tommy Silva will be held on Tuesday, Dec 12 from 4 to 7 pm at Saint Elizabeth’s Catholic Church (917 Montrose Road, Rockville). Tommy’s funeral mass will be held on Wednesday, Dec 13 at 10 a.m. also at St. Elizabeth’s Catholic Church.

For those who have a friend or are personally struggling with depression and contemplating suicide, please call either the Montgomery County Crisis Center (240) 777-4000 or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255.

https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HHS-Program/Program.aspx?id=BHCS/BHCS24hrcrisiscenter-p204.html

10
0