The season for summer sports approaches

The season for summer sports approaches

Junior Sean Lynch warms up during game day in the WJ gym. He averaged 10 points in the spring season, while many continue to sleep on his abilities. Photo courtesy of Will Cohen.

Will Cohen

This is what all athletes have been waiting for! It’s finally summer time, and that means summer sports are right around the corner. The weather being nice isn’t the only thing that makes these events more enjoyable, it’s also the tournaments, the teams you play with, and the freedom you have during the summer that makes it the best season to play sports.

WJ offers leagues for many sports, but they are not officially associated with the school. One such team is basketball, which plays in the “More Than Basketball” league, a highly competitive summer league. Junior Sean Lynch is excited to continue the team’s success they experienced with the spring team.

“The spring league was pretty good, we had a 7-5 record, beat Magruder in the first round of the playoffs, and developed chemistry with each other,” Lynch said.

Summer baseball got kicked off this week as well, as WJ’s A and AAA teams faced Churchill’s respective teams. AAA was defeated in an ugly game, 7-2, but saw encouraging play from many youngsters, as well as an unexpected player appearance. Varsity player, senior Kevin Good., “KG” came through for one final WJ baseball game.

Good pitched two innings, as well as producing a hit, the first of his WJ baseball career. This is what summer sports are all about!

0
1
Will Cohen, News Editor

Will Cohen is a junior at WJ in his first year with The Pitch. He is the online news editor and is thrilled to have the opportunity to cover news inside...