Boys’ basketball bests Northwood

Photo by Sanir Byanjankar
Senior captain Christion Wright lines up as Blake Baily shoots free throws. The Wildcats are now 2-1 entering the game Friday night against Blair.

In their third matchup, the boys’ basketball team beat Northwood on Tuesday night, December 13th. Bouncing back from a loss against Wootton last week, the Wildcats didn’t let that game faze them. Both teams were 1-1 before the game.

Entering the game, the Wildcats knew the Gladiators mainly played zone defense. Although WJ is used to playing against man-to-man, they adjusted quickly. Northwood also occasionally pressed, which was no issue for the Wildcats as they easily beat it.

Against the zone, WJ created space on the outside to find their shots. Fast breaks and steals allowed the Wildcats to control the first quarter, which ended with them leading 17-10.

“We were able to keep our heads in the game without a student section for both schools, which was a weird environment,” senior Dawson Carr said.

The Wildcats dominated the second quarter, scoring another 17 points. The Gladiators started switching between their two zones and man-to-man. Northwood’s zone didn’t move quickly enough, allowing the corners to be open for WJ’s sharpshooters.

An intense press complemented the Wildcats’ strong offense on defense, which Northwood seemed unable to break. The Gladiators had multiple turnovers, allowing the Wildcats to post a 34-19 lead.

Starting the second half, the Wildcats’ defense seemed to slow down. WJ struggled also on the offensive glass. Northwood’s defense stepped up, only letting the Wildcats score six in the quarter. The score was 40-30 to end the third.

“We have been in a shooting slump these past games and it definitely showed up in the third quarter. But we just kept at it and took what they gave us which ultimately won us the game,” senior Christion Wright said.

The Wildcats jumped out strong in the fourth quarter, ready to finish as strong as they started. WJ started trapping the Northwood guards and pressing. Driving into the paint and drawing fouls helped the Wildcats take the win. The final score was 58-42.

The team plays their fourth game of the season on Friday night, hosting Blair (0-3).

0
0