The painting on the walls

The Art Honor Society plans out their next hallway mural. It showcases WJ in large colorful bubble letters.
Photo courtesy Olivia Scharf

Art shows up everywhere. Walls of cities are decorated with graffiti and murals. Street artists populate streets from painting, to drawings, to music. Our school is no different. Tape murals cover hallways, stained glass windows bring light to entrances, and colorful poster boards display student designs. Classrooms are typically seen as drab and bland, but with the growing inclusion of art in our school, that view can be changed.

The Art Honors Society is an important part of the art that we see around the school. The Honors Society puts in a lot of time and effort into thinking how they can improve the community at WJ.

Students themselves come up with ideas for painting the murals, and need the approval of Principal Jennifer Baker to put their plans in action. The Honors Society has multiple murals going on currently that are student-designed and led, representing the student body’s desires. You can see this mural in progress in the staircases by the gym. It is full of vibrant colors that make the hallway more exciting and colorful.

“Right now we are working on a mural that shows the letters of WJ in a pop art style, so it will be bright and exciting!” senior Ella Murray said.

1
0