• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Up-At-Bat: Does WJ do enough to recognize Black History Month?

• “Not really, there’s not enough events and signs, in the school black history month is basically just another month,” -Calvin Johnson, 9

• “WJ has done enough to recognize black history month. Talking about it more on the announcements and having a fun fact about a famous black person everyday could be added.” -Candice Nsoga, 10

• “There’s not really enough things going on for people of color, and for people of color that go to WJ, we feel like outsiders looking in because of the environment we’re in and the place we reside in is predominantly white. But I also see improvements with staff and students through the BSU and MSP. I would say the way to improve our school environment is by hosting more events that people are interested in.” -Noah Tolossa, 11

• “I think WJ could do a lot more to recognize special months of recognition like Black History Month and others throughout the year. Maybe having a bulletin board during the month or announcing a different important person in African American History each day would be cool.” -Meley Ghermay, 10

0
0