The NFL Reacts to Connecticut Shooting

The shooting spree at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newton, Connecticut was one of the most tragic moments in recent history. I remember where I was when I heard about it, I had just come home from school and flipped on the TV. Horror came across my face as I watched the commentary on what had happened. The rest of that day was sort of a blur for me, as I tried to comprehend how someone could possibly do such a horrific thing. The next morning I turned on SportsCenter as I do nearly every morning and I saw the broadcasters discussing the possible implications for the upcoming games, especially the Patriots who had a home game in Foxborough, Massachusetts, located less then 150 miles from Newton. In my mind I thought the NFL should play the games to help get their mind of this terrible tragedy and let them relax and watch a game of football.

As the NFL debated whether ot not to play the games in their regularly scheduled times, many fans voiced their opinions. Many NFL fans did not want the games to be played, but in the end the NFL decided it would be best to have the games at their normal time. When the games started on Dec. 16 every game had a moment of silence for the kids and teachers who lost their lives. In addition, lots of players made their own tributes to the victims, including writing their names somewhere on their bodies or on their uniforms.  Although the gestures were touching Chris Johnson topped everyone else. Johnson, who has had a questionable past, was playing on Monday night football which is broadcasted on national television. He even publicly said his performance was for the victims and wrote all of their names on his shoes.Then, in the first quarter, Johnson broke off a 94 yard touchdown run which helped lead his team to victory. This past weekend confirmed my love for sports, and the NFL showed me that no matter the situation the sports world will handle the problem the right way.

0
    0