Ninja tag is back and has the school in pandemonium

The annual game of Ninja Tag at WJ has started again this year. The event started on Wednesday, February 2. Students were prowling the hallways hunting for their targets but always in fear of hearing those fatal words, “Hasta La Vista”.  

“I love the game of Ninja Tag but at the same time I also hate it. The thrill of walking in the hallway knowing someone is out to get you is super fun and I like seeking for my target in the masses of people. It makes me feel like an actual ninja,” junior Drew Griffin said.

Ninja tag is played every year during school hours to raise money for Pennies for Patients.

Once participants have signed up, they are met with the text, “You have signed up to embark on the epic mission of Ninja Tag. The only way to get your target out is to say the phrase “Hasta la vista” to your target when no one else is around and no one else but your target can hear it. When you’re out you must text the sensei that you are out or if that you got someone out; Upon this interaction, you will receive a new target.”

But upon receiving the text, students realized that the game goes much deeper than a simple “Hasta la Vista”.

“If you believe your target is about to get you, do not despair. Simply say, when alone,”Sayonara”, BEFORE they say “Hasta La vista”. In this case, you have just killed the person who was trying to get you out. If it is not the person who has you as a target or you are caught saying the words to the wrong person, then you are out and must report that to the sensei.

The game is strictly condensed to school grounds and WJ will be a place of heated competition for the next few days, with a gaggle of students trying to get each other out.  

“If you get someone out outside of school property or outside of the game hours you will be disqualified. If you do not eliminate your target within one week of its start, you will be out of the game. Last ninja standing wins. Best of luck to you, and you will be hearing from me soon. Your first target is:_____” the text reads.
   This year, the popular game seems to have a heightened amount of competition than in previous years. During the first week of battle, 33 people have been eliminated in the first two days. As of February 3, the most “killed” by a single person was six people.

“I hate Ninja tag with a passion. It is the worst game ever. Every year I’ve played and every year I’ve gotten out in the first round. That game ruins friendships,” senior Tidiane Sissoko said.

During the second week of the competition, students were able to buy their lives back or join the game late. Twenty-one students decided to buy back in after their elimination and seven people decided to join the game late. Since week one, 74 people have been eliminated and another 15 people removed because they ran out of time before they could eliminate their targets.

As of March 9th, there are 4 people remaining and the game is projected to end by the end of the P4P season. (March 17th).

0
0