Bills of law and the Buffalo Bills unite in Frederick Delello’s classroom

Elli Karistinou
Frederick Delello’s fourth-period law class creates their own FBI wanted posters that include mugshots, aliases and crime descriptions. “[He’s] definitely unlike any teacher I’ve ever had before. He has an interesting energy, so he’ll be just quiet and then he’ll roast me for being a Colts fan and then just switch back to [teaching about] homicide, but he makes [law] a pretty entertaining class,” senior Noah Clash-Drexler said.

From teaching in a rural K-12 school in New York to the low ceilings of Ashburton Elementary to the blue and white hallways of North Bethesda Middle School and now, Walter Johnson High School, social studies teacher Frederick Delello has been a beloved and welcoming teacher for students of all grades.

Originally from Oneonta, New York, his passion for teaching was ignited at a young age, with multiple teachers revealing the joy of teaching and the intrigue of history.

“My sixth-grade teacher, Ms. Minette [was a role model], because she was very energetic. She was also positive about everything, she always had great activities and she was very devoted to school. I could see that she loved it, that she loved coming every day, that she loved being with the students [and] she was passionate about everything she taught us,” Delello said.

However, his passion for social studies was gradually unveiled later in his student years by his 10th-grade government teacher and 12th-grade Russian studies teacher.

“When people talk about [how] they like sci-fi and [they say] ‘I wish I could live in the future.’ I’ve always been the reverse. I’d rather go into the past and know what it’s like to have lived it,” Delello said.

Compared to other schools, WJ and the Montgomery County high school curriculum provides a larger range of social studies classes and more freedom for teachers to choose what topics they want to teach. Aside from his current classes in AP Government and Law, Delello has also taught a series of other social studies courses that include both electives and core subjects.

“I like the idea of having options in history [classes] to teach. So I have taught AP European History, US History, AP Government, Russian History and Law, so I have options to change and teach something else,” Delello said.
Delello not only engages and connects with students through in-class activities but also through simply talking, relating and laughing with them.

“I think the most important thing is building relationships with students [and creating] a rapport with them. Let them know that I am here for them, get to know them, they get to know me. I want it to be so that students feel comfortable, that I’m here for them, that they can treat me like anybody else, that I’m not above them,” Delello said.

In Delello’s classes, student participation and fun are rampant, with one surefire ritual occurring during special celebratory days.

“He makes us sing the Bills anthem every time they win, [which] has not been too much this year and he always wears a Bills jersey. He [also] has a big sign in his room,” senior Noah Clash-Drexler said.

Beth Muehl, a social studies teacher, is also positively influenced by Delello’s role in the school. They have known each other since Muehl came to WJ, 14 years ago, and have collaborated on a variety of courses and projects.

“He does a lot of the logistics, so the photocopies for [the History Department] and he makes sure everything is organized so that’s huge. [And] that time at the copier is frustrating so he takes that on which is massive,” Muehl said.
Not only is Delello active within his own four classroom walls but also with the school community as a whole.

“When I first came here, I was the SGA Sponsor and Leadership teacher for three years. Then, I became the sponsor of the National Honor Society and then I became class sponsor four times, so I’ve moved with a class [through high school] four times,” Delello said.

While the famous Homecoming video theme changes annually, from SGA vs. the senior class to Harry Potter, and features new students, staff and complex editing details, one aspect always prevails: Dellelo’s hilarious appearance.

“I don’t know [why I am always in the Homecoming video]. I think part of it is that if students have seen a previous video when they’re in 9th grade and they see a teacher that’s in it when they become seniors, they know that [the teacher] will do it,” Delello said.

With many seniors leaving this year, Delello’s one piece of advice to students is to avoid pressuring themselves into choosing what their entire future will look like.

“Be open to change all the time because I didn’t choose teaching until I already had a degree and I went back and then got my teaching degree. So keep your mind and options open to anything and don’t be afraid to change your mind and do something new,” Delello said.

2
0