Behind the scenes of Romeo and Juliet

Behind the scenes of Romeo and Juliet

The Paint crew isn't afraid to get messy when it comes to making sure the sets look their best. Be sure to come watch the sets come to life in one of the four performances!

Photo by Izzy Zavareei

Photo by Izzy Zavareei

Photo by Izzy Zavareei

Izzy Zavareei, Social Media/Marketing Coordinator

For there never was a story more woe than this of Juliet and her Romeo.” This fall, WJ S*T*A*G*E* is tackling the task of performing Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet; one of Shakespeare’s most famous tragedies about two young star-crossed lovers whose deaths ultimately reconcile their feuding families. Cast auditions and crew meetings began in early September. Opening night is November 9, followed by three additional shows on the 10, 16 and 17.

“The production process so far has been going smoothly, and I am really excited to see the result of everyone’s hard work!” senior stage manager Noelle Rayment Cruz said.

Hard work is no exaggeration. Both the cast and the crew have put in a ton of time for the preparation of this play. After school, the cast can be found rehearsing in the chorus room with Colleen McAdory, the director, and crew in the auditorium building painting sets, making props and sewing costumes.

“We have been working until 6:00 most school days and even some weekends. We are all trying to get as much done as we possibly can before Hell-Week, (the week leading up to opening night)” junior Gwen Rodriguez from costumes and makeup crew said.

As the days are drawing closer to the show, it is becoming more obvious which elements are going to be a challenge in the performance.

“I think the sword fights are going to be difficult to pull off for the actors in making it look realistic. I’m also worried about Tybalt because he’s wearing a cape during the whole scene and I don’t want it to get stepped on,”  junior and Costume Mistress Alicia Castillo said.

WJ S*T*A*G*E is planning on sticking to the more traditional version of Romeo and Juliet, but there are definitely a few changes being made to better accommodate the cast. Friar Lawrence, a wise older man who plays the mentor role for Romeo and Juliet, was cast as a girl and modified to “Friar Lawrenza.” In theater, this is known as gender swapping which can definitely add an interesting twist to a classic play.

“I’m really excited about seeing the play. I have some friends performing and it’s always just a great experience to go and watch them do their thing,” junior Simon Wiederkehr said.

0
0
Izzy Zavareei, Social Media Manager/ Staff Writer

Izzy regulates the various social media accounts, keeping the followers informed and eager for new Pitch content. Izzy also works as a staff writer for...