The return of physical music: Vinyl and CDs

Photo courtesy of Pexels
The vinyl player has made a comeback, especially with the younger generations, despite not growing up with them. Students have key opinions about listening to music in this physical way.

While to some, digital music seems the best way to listen to music, some students prefer taking a trip back to when music was listened to very differently, through vinyl records and CD discs. The spinning discs can make loved music even more enchanting, adding to the auditory experience.

“Music through digital platforms is fine to listen to, but if you really want to have a moment and enjoy the experience that comes along with music, vinyl is much better,” junior Toby Carr said.

Vinyl records have had a resurgence in popularity very recently, even surpassing sales of the more recently-released CD. The CD started to be widely used more than 35 years ago, while vinyls were first made about 90 years ago.

“I grew up in the boombox and walkman era, but vinyl records have stood the test of time and will continue to be popular, because people like them,” security guard Deandre Jolley said.

Older music released at the time of vinyl is also popular. The general agreement seems to be that there is something special about listening to good music in this different way, perhaps the way they were meant to be played.

“I really enjoy listening to Pink Floyd, Bowie, The Cure, Tool and other older rock bands through the vinyl player,” sophomore Maya Weissman said.

With vinyl players costing a couple of hundred dollars at the minimum, and the actual records being pricey as well, some students enjoy the experience but still feel ambivalent about this way of listening.

Record players are nice to listen to until you realize Spotify premium is a lot cheaper than buying vinyls.

— sophomore Victoria Miro

The boom of physical music is still continuing, and the end of vinyl is nowhere near its end and here to stay. While many choose to stay with digital music exclusively, records will still become more accessible through cheaper prices and more production. As a result, a larger population will be able to get their hands on them.

0
0