WJ robotics places first at regionals

Steven Roth, News Editor

On April 1, the WJ Robotics team competed at regionals at Annandale High School in Virginia. The team came out of the competition as the champions, placing first out of 26 teams.

“It was good to finally beat the team (Dead Robots Society) that has been winning that competition for several years.” senior head programmer Nat Goldstein said. “After they got eliminated in the double elimination rounds, we knew it was our win.”

The team consists of approximately 10 members, with the purpose of building robots and competing in an annual robotics competition. The regional competition consisted of three rounds, beginning with the seeding round.

“We are given a game board and there are pieces all over the board that the robot can interact with to score points,” senior President Spencer Belt said. “In the seeding round, it is just our robot on the board and we have two minutes to score as many points as possible.”

After the first round and the semi-finals, the finals are conducted, which involves one team’s robot facing off against another team’s robot on one game board.

“In the double elimination round, it’s us and another team on the board,” Belt said. “So we have to compete against them and score more points than them to move on, while in the seeding round, it’s just score as many points as possible.”

The team came out of the competition victorious, beating 25 other teams from around the region. Though the team won regionals, they are already looking towards their next competition.

“We are considering going to the national competition in Oklahoma,” Belt said. “We have gone to the national competition in the past and we did perform well, but we feel like we could do better this year since we won the regional competition.”

1
1