Controversial call: Referee shortage shifts football games to Thursday

Courtesy Sanir Byanjankar
Students at a home football game cheering on their team. Because of football games getting moved to thursdays, the student section might become less packed than a normal friday.

It’s football season. Every Friday night, high schoolers pile into the stands, cheering on their team during the big game. They spend time with friends, socialize and show school spirit. Students can hangout with friends all night, not worrying about waking up for school the next morning … Except when there is school the next morning.

This football season, several football games will be played on Thursdays rather than the typical Friday due in part to a referee shortage.

“The main reason Thursday football games became a thing this year is because of a shortage of referees in the state of Maryland. They need to spread things out more so that the referees can cover the games,” JV coach Jack Hopkins said.

Another reason the football games are being moved is because of Rosh Hashanah. The Jewish holiday is on the evening of Sept. 15, a Friday when there would typically be a football game.

“I think it’s important for the county to recognize the Jewish athletes in our community, and moving the games to Thursday is a necessary change for that,” head coach Aaron Fiddler said.

Despite the holidays and referee shortages, some people are against the change. In particular, some students see Friday night lights as tradition, and don’t want to change any part of that.

“I think Thursday night lights games aren’t going to be as hype and as fun. And it’s just not going to be the same energy and feelings that we normally get at football games,” sophomore Henri Serra said.

There are also other sports events going on during Thursdays, so people who play another sport may not be able to go to the football game because they would have their sport at the same time. Because of this, there may be fewer fans at the games, creating a smaller student section.

“I think Thursday games make it harder to get together, and it breaks our tradition. Like, I have wrestling on Thursdays, so that makes it more inconvenient for me. The Friday games are more iconic and everybody knows and loves those games,” senior Zach Morales said.

Walter Johnson has their first Thursday game of the season on Sept. 14 at Whitman. Their following two games are also on Thursdays.

2
0
$775
$1000