Thousands in Jewish community unite in March for Israel

Lily Fisher
Thousands march together supporting of Israel and the release of the Israeli hostages in reaction to the ongoing Israel-Hamas crisis.

More than 290,000 people stood to march in support of Israel, Israeli hostages and against antisemitism on Nov. 14 in Washington D.C. Since Oct. 7, when Hamas first led the attacks against Israel, Jewish people all over the world have been distressed and fearful. This march’s purpose was to have an event to bring together the Jewish community in rally for their beliefs. The march, the biggest gathering for the Jewish community since 1987, hit everyone deeply, featuring the singing of the Hatikvah (Israel’s national anthem), speeches from siblings of hostages and the chanting of ‘Bring them home.’

From the start, the National Mall was packed, the Metro was crowded, streets were blocked off, lines of people waited to get a blue wristband for closer access and thousands of people pushed to the front to participate in the historical rally and see it take place right in front of them. Prior to the march, a student pre-rally event at the Mall occurred – an opportunity for young students to hear from and relate to students with a voice who are experiencing the same feelings and are being equally impacted by the events in Israel.

“Hearing from people my same age made my feelings feel so much more valid. There is something about hearing thousands of people supporting the same thing as you that makes you feel like you can make a difference even when you are young,” Wilde Lake High School senior Zach Hirsch said.

With almost 300,000 people gathered, almost every person had signs in their hands ranging from posters of hostages to posters saying, “More Hummus, Less Hamas.” These signs connected people together and demonstrated how everyone was there for the same purpose and wanted the same outcome with fighting for solitude with Israel and against Jewish hatred.

“There were so many Jewish people all together like rallying for something that we all believed in which was really cool. I just felt really inspired and like really good in my identity as a Jew whenever I looked up at everyone with their signs in the air,” WJ freshman Lila Leavey said.

March participants also traveled vast distances to be present. There were people from all over the country with signs signifying that their state stands with Israel. Students skipped school to be there all because of how important they knew it would be.

“This march has a huge impact on the world. I think it really shows the Jewish community. We’re all we really come together when times are tough, and we’re all really there for each other no matter what religion you are,” Yeshiva University Stern College for Women student Ateret Skilinsky said.

The march featured numerous powerful speakers, including Van Jones, Israeli President Isaac Herzog, Tovah Feldschuh and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer who constantly reassured the crowd by stating what the government would do and that the conflict in Israel and their constant fear wouldn’t be dismissed.

“I liked that a lot of the speakers were speaking about potential solutions for what people could do to help out and to call the government and reach out and make it known that these hostages are still being held. I appreciate that the government speakers were there and talking about ways they could do that and the money they could move to UNICEF (United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund) and all of the groups who have been harmed and everyone who has been held hostage,” WJ senior Micah Goldstein said.

8
5