Should there be an underclassmen dance?

Students dancing at the 2023 homecoming dance. With the exception of Seniors, homecoming is likely the only dance that students have the whole school year.
Photo courtesy Jack Verhalen

“Would you like to dance with me?” Every dance brings a lot of excitement for high schoolers. With Homecoming this past week, lots of students went to the dance, especially since it was moved inside this year. So many people going to Homecoming raises the question: should WJ have an additional dance at another point in the year, whether it’s an underclassmen dance or a dance open to the whole school? Or if not a second dance, should there be another event for students?

There used to be Glo, a dance that happened in the winter. But the dance doesn’t take place anymore due to inappropriate behavior. WJ hasn’t had one since after the pandemic. Seniors have Prom, but for underclassmen, Homecoming is the only dance they have throughout the year. So should administration and/or SGA be working on another dance for underclassmen in particular? Some underclassmen might buy into that idea. Others, however, oppose the idea.

Some argue that an underclassmen dance would make senior year much less enjoyable. Additionally, some people would say that if there was an underclassman dance that started this year, it would be unfair to the juniors and seniors who never had one when they were underclassmen.

An underclassmen dance is not a great idea, rather, there should be another event rather than another event. While it would be nice for underclassmen to have, it would take away too much from the enjoyment of senior year, and it would make senior prom less exciting.

Prom is also used to celebrate seniors for all of the work that they put in throughout their time in high school. If WJ adds more dances for underclassmen, it will take away that feeling and significance out of seniors’ prom.

While there should be more activities for underclassmen, a dance isn’t the solution. Admin and SGA should be doing everything that they can to make sure that people in all grades come to school looking forward to something. For instance, maybe host more events at lunch so that people can have more to do during that time. Some events could take place in the stadium so that people get a chance to be a bit more active during the day.

WJ should have some school wide events later in the year. It always seems that after fall and Homecoming, it gets pretty boring at school because there aren’t any major events to look forward to, and students should get more social events at school.

0
0