NBA, WNBA stars face off in 3-point contest

Courtesy Rondo Estrello
The All-Star game will be played in Indianapolis on Feb.18. WIth the three-point contest starting at 8. p.m.

Basketball stars Steph Curry and Sabrina Ionescu will be competing in a 3-point contest on All-Star weekend Saturday, Feb.17, in which will raise funds for charities of the player’s choices.

Implemented by NBA commissioner Adam Silver, an all-star event has yet to include both an NBA and WNBA player on the same court until now.

The contest will include two of the most prestigious 3-point shooters in basketball history, ranging from the NBA to the WNBA, both players have made their marks in their respective leagues.

Curry had hinted towards the competition stating, “I think I gotta bring her out … we gotta settle this once and for all,” following questions about last year’s 3-point contest, in which Ionescu broke Curry’s record of 31 points, putting up a highly impressive 37 points.

Ionescu quickly responded via social media stating, “Let’s getttttt it!! See ya at the 3 pt line.”

Media has erupted since the announcement, with different predictions and opinions on the event along with its implications. Some have come to believe that since the distance for 3-point lines differs between leagues, an unfair advantage would be created.

Although this has been part of the heavy talk regarding the event, Ionescu wanted it to be known on X that she wasn’t afraid of changing where she shoots from.

“I’ll shoot from the NBA line …,” Ionescu said.

It has been confirmed she will shoot from the WNBA line, but her confidence in her ability has sparked abundant amounts of respect for Ionescu.

Many also see this contest as a great way of showcasing the skills of not only men’s basketball but also women.

“Events like the Curry vs Ionescu 3-point contest help promote gender equality as they bring popularity to women’s sports and promote viewer attendance … this proves that WNBA players can hang with NBA players and are just as capable and talented,” senior girls varsity basketball player Eliana Nastase said.

Excitement has been piling up for all basketball fans, as they get to witness history in what should be an entertaining charity event.

“It is exciting and cool to see the two face off since they are both great shooters,” junior Ethan Carrasco said.

The impact such a simple event has made on the youth can not be overstated, encouraging all who have a love for the game to develop their skills regardless of size, gender, ethnicity, etc.

“Curry and Ionescu have inspired the younger generation with this contest,” junior boys varsity basketball player Jordan Silverstein said.

The basketball world will be tuning in and awaiting the results of the highly anticipated affair, with the outcome having the potential to change sports forever.

1
0