Girls Lacrosse Wins 4A-3A West Regionals

“I will be proud of my girls, no matter what happens,” said coach Jennifer Greenberg before the girls lacrosse Maryland 4A/3A West final against then-undefeated Churchill. “They have come so far and worked so hard. I believed in this team all along, and during the playoffs [the team] believed as well.”

The coach’s inspirational words paid off, as the team defeated the top seeded Bulldogs 12-10, becoming the region champions.

The championship game was a perfect stage for the team: the fierce rivalry, emotions from a one-point loss in the regular season, a chance to spoil the Bulldogs’ undefeated season and the regional championship.

“I think going in we all knew that we were going to give it our all,” said junior goalie Yasmeen Ajdari. “Even though we previously lost [to Churchill] we all knew we had to get it done for our coach and for each other.”

After the regional championship, the team moved on into the state semifinals against 4A/3A North champion Westminster. Even after the emotional high that was the regional championship, WJ was no match for Westminster’s play, falling 22-4 on May 16.

In the regular season, the girls were simply dominant. Through their 11-game regular season, the girls posted an 8-3 record. The team won by an average of 10.6 goals per game, and scored an average of 14.9 goals a game. Two out of the three losses were to Churchill and Blake, first and second overall in the county respectively.

Senior attacker Tess Petesch led the team in scoring with 70 goals, followed by senior attacker Abby Bieber with 52 and sophomore defensive wing Rachel Skay with 43. Ajdari and the defensive core, senior Julia Simenauer, junior Madison Ryan, and sophomore Sarah Howie were solid along with seniors Megan Brennan,  Sarah Langlie and Emily Kleinburd. Greenberg believes that the team’s strong play from everyone on the field was something that was a key element to the team’s success. 

“Our key players have been whoever has stepped on the field,” said Greenberg. “We always work together as a team and know that everyone who touched the ball during a certain play should get credit for the goal. Our defense have come up with some huge plays and caused turnovers which have won games.”

Earning the third seed in the regional playoffs, the team had a favorable draw. They gained a bye in the first round, and a second round matchup with 11th-seeded Einstein. After a 19-5 win against them, the team earned a spot in the regional semifinals versus second-seeded Blake, a team who defeated WJ in the regular season. The game was hard-fought throughout, but  had to be postponed at halftime due to rain tied 5-5. After a day of anticipation, the girls picked up the intensity where they left off, powering to an 11-9 victory.

“I was very proud of the girls because [after the delay] they came out focused and fired up,” said Greenberg.

The team reeled from its Blake win into the Churchill game. In the victory, both Petesch and Bieber scored four times, also combining for three assists. After falling behind by three in the early stages of the game, the momentum swung as WJ reeled off four straight goals to take the lead, one they would never relinquish, despite many comeback efforts from the Bulldogs.

“[The game] was scary but we came out on top,” said Brennan. “It just shows you what a good team, close friends, and a lot of heart can get you.”

After bringing in a new coach this season, the team went full steam ahead becoming the first girls lacrosse team in four years to make it past the second round of the playoffs. The girls’ championship banner is only the second for a regional championship in school history.

1
0