MCPS to introduce girls’ flag football in fall

MCPS to introduce girls flag football in fall

Girls’ flag football will become an official varsity sport, MCPS announced on April 22. The move comes just six months after girls’ flag football was added to the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles. By adding another varsity sport, MCPS hopes to increase the number of student-athletes next fall and create more opportunities for people to fall in love with new sports.

“Students have been coming to my office left and right. Between having girls’ football and adding pickleball, we’ll be adding two sports in the fall and it’s going to be incredible for participation and having more kids involved with athletics,” athletic specialist Larry Hurd Jr. said.

Students and community members have wanted to bring girls’ flag football to MCPS for years and now that it is here, they are elated at the possibilities of playing football under the lights.

“I’ve wanted it to come to MCPS for a while, so I’m excited that it’s actually happening. Ever since I came to this high school, I always wondered why they didn’t have one, so I’m happy that they actually listened to anybody who was interested in it,” junior Zoey Walters said.

Without many opportunities to play in the past as there are not too many local leagues, many are psyched for the chance to play another sport and grow the popularity of girls’ flag football.

“I think it’s useful because it’s more inclusive for girls because we never really had football before, so it’s nice to have a new sport that people are able to try that not a lot of people have done before,” sophomore Alina Bonior said.

While girls’ flag football is new to MCPS and Maryland, it has been a state sanctioned high school sport in Florida for around 20 years. The Baltimore Ravens and Under Armour helped bring the sport to Maryland in the Fall of 2023 by providing funding for 10 public schools in Frederick County. This year they will add another 41 schools that they will help fund with 25 being from MCPS and the others coming from Washington County and Baltimore County. Based on how girls’ flag football was piloted in other states, it would not be surprising if MPSSAA makes girls’ flag football a state sanctioned sport in the future.

“The Ravens stepped up with a huge grant. They’re buying uniforms for each team and the equipment and they’re going to provide clinics. It’s just really exciting,” Hurd said.

With 28 states having some sort of a girls’ flag football program and 11 states having the sport sanctioned by the state (Colorado became the 11th earlier this week), the popularity has never been higher and it would not be surprising if the Wildcats and other schools around the state are competing for state championships in the coming years.

Just like any other varsity sport, WJ has posted a link to apply for the head coach position on Tuesday, April 23 and will go through the regular hiring process to find the best fit for a head coach.

“I think they should definitely look for a coach who is open to new players coming in because I feel like not a lot of people here play flag football as their main sport,” sophomore Addie Strbak said.

1
0