Sports Season Wrapups and Playoff Previews and Predictions

The fall sports teams  have had fantastic seasons thus far, and every team has had superb individual and team performances throughout their rigorous seasons. With playoffs coming up, the  teams have various expectations they are hoping to fulfill. I will give insight on how the teams have fared thus far and give predictions on how teams may sucseed in the playoffs or their remaining games.

Cross Country- This year’s cross country team is one of the deepest in WJ history. It has a very tight pack with their top seven runners running very close together, which served the team well in the County Championship as it led to a victory. Through great efforts from seniors Nathaniel Rees, Ben Crites and Will Delay, the Cross Country team went undefeated in their division. The team though, has their minds set on victories in the state meets.  This team will face very tough competition from Severna Park in the state meet. The team finished third in the Bull Run elite race and won the Spiked shoe invitational.Both meets had tough competition. The county championship meet  was be held on Oct. 20 at Gaithersburg High School and they won this meet aswell. In addition, the girls’ team has rebounded from a tough year. They are led by two sophomores Nathalie Kirsch and Melanie Cirillo. The teams completed its goal this year by qualifying for the state meet.

Field Hockey- This field hockey team seems to be very special due to its great talent.  After losing a game early in the year 4-2 against Wootton the girls rallied together 6 wins in a row, including a key 5-4 double overtime win against rival Churchill. The team did not stop after that victory,  the very next day WJ, hosted the very talented B-CC team, a regular county champion. After a lengthy streak dating back to 1995, the girls defeated the Barons. The team used the momentum from that game to knock off an undefeated Poolesville 2-0. The team, led by junior Anna Rowthorn-Apel, who is the heart and soul of the offense, looks to make a run to states.This team has the ability to win the region title. The playoffs began on Oct. 23, and they won their first two playoff games against Gaithersburg and Churchill.

Football- The 2012 WJ football team is one to remember. After a heartbreaking loss to Magruder in the first home game, the team went on to beat Clarksburg and Springbrook, both of whom were favored to win.  Then at home, the boys lost a tough game in overtime to Poolesville 35-28. The team then fell to  Wootton and Damascus, two very good teams. The team has had exceptional seasons so far from senior tight end and Defense end Charlie Barry, senior running back Courtney Caldwell and senior quarterback Gus Gill. The team closes the season against two rival B-CC, the Barons have fared well so far and WJ hopes to knock them off. I predict WJ will win this game.

Golf- The golf team has had a successful season thus far. Led by senior Evan Shapiro, the team is full of great young talent. Freshmen Noah Moss and Jordan Bobb have continued to play big roles on the squad. The team went an outstanding 13-4-1 to start the year. The team then went on to finish third at the Bethesda Cup. The team then finished fifth at the Montgomery County Public School championship, only three strokes behind the winners.  Junior Rosemary Kepple and sophmore Hannah Vickery will compete for WJ in the girls’ state championship and senior Evan Shapiro, junior Michael Gilman, freshman Noah Moss and freshman Jordan Bobb will compete in the boys’ state championship. The lowest score this year had been by freshman Noah Moss on nine holes; he shot a 34. The team faired well at the state meet.

Boys’ Soccer- This year’s boys’ soccer hopes to avenge its loss last year in the state championship game against Bowie. But first, it has to get through the tough Montgomery County competition. The season was going perfectly with a huge 1-0 win against Wootton, but had a hiccup losing to Whitman 2-0.  The team looks to rebound from the loss with only three games left before playoffs. Led by senior Nabayee Tesfu and sophomore Tom Stavrou, the team looks to get through the regional playoffs quickly and smoothly and get to the state playoffs to claim their elusive state title.This team has the talent to win the state championship; they just need to avoid another fluke loss and play their style of soccer.

Girls’ Soccer- The girls’ soccer team is one of the most talented in years. Led by senior captain Carina Deandreis and senior Sydney Calas, the girls look to make a run in the regional playoffs. Their season got off to a great start, but the girls had a very tough stretch, dropping three in a row to Blair, Clarksburg and B-CC. They rebounded by beating Wootton and Northwest, only to lose their next game in overtime to Whitman 1-0. The girls have the talent to make a run in the region, but they will have to come together and play well as a team to make a run in the playoffs.

Girls’ Tennis- The girls’ tennis team is playing great ball. They are 8-2 after defeating Blair and Richard Montgomery. Their losses came against Churchill and Wootton in a very close match losing 4-3. The team is led by freshman sensation Eden Sela and senior Arielle Hartz. The state playoff tournament is in May, they finished the season strong by beating Sherwood and Damascus. If they win their last two matches they will be WJ’s best girls’ tennis team since before 2008.

Girls’ Volleyball- The girls’ volleyball team has only lost to Sherwood and hopes for revenge going into the playoffs. Led by senior captains Kristen Larrick & Stephanie Paul, and junior captain Brigid Morris, the team has the experience it needs to make a deep run in the playoffs. The girls have crushed opponents,  and have barely dropped any sets this year aside from the loss. In addition, they almost had a perfect set on Einstein winning 25-2. The team finished its regular season on Oct. 25 against Sherwood. The potential reamatch will be a clash of the titans. I believe this team has what it takes to win the state tittle, due to its talent and senior leadership.

0
0