• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

A celebration of women’s literature

A celebration of womens literature
Graphic Courtesy of Ella Nilsen

Becoming – Michelle Obama
In this powerful memoir written by the first African American First Lady, Michelle Obama leads readers through the experiences that guided her to becoming the iconic women’s rights advocate she is today. Through deep reflection and witty storytelling, Obama recounts her struggles and successes from her childhood to her time spent at the White house. Becoming is a deeply personal and inspiring reckoning of a woman with compelling strength and substance that will inspire young girls and women for generations to come.

We Should All Be Feminists – Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
In this incredible and thought-provoking essay, Ngozi Adichie offers readers a new take on what it means to be a feminist in the 21st century. Drawing on her own experiences and understanding of race, gender, sex and clashing power dynamics, Ngozi Adichie delivers a poignant exploration of feminism and what it means to be a woman. This book is perfect for anyone looking for an easy-to-understand exploration of feminism and its application to your life.

March Forward Girl – Melba Patillo Beals
This author may sound familiar, as Melba Patillo Beals was one of the Little Rock Nine, but her story started long before that historic moment. Beals grew up in a racist, segregated world, but as a young Black girl with a warrior’s heart, she was not about to submit to the restrictions society had placed upon her skin. This stunning memoir tells the story of Beals’ struggle in a blatantly unfair world. Complete with drawings and photographs, Beals paints a vivid picture of her journey to becoming a champion for civil rights.

The Radical Element – Jessica Spotswood (and others)
This collection of 12 stories combines elements of YA fiction and fact by sharing memorable and unique tales of brave women throughout history who finally get to have their stories told. Some of the best authors in YA fiction, such as Jessica Spotswood and Erin Bowman, come together to write about a myriad of historical narratives. From girls secretly learning Hebrew in the US South, to using the family magic to pass as white in 1920s Hollywood, to singing in a feminist punk band in 1980s Boston, this book includes a diverse cast of characters from every color and creed that makes for a splendid celebration of Women’s History Month.

Circe – Madeline Miller
From the best-selling author of The Song of Achilles comes a riveting mythological retelling full of magic and suspense. This reimagining of the tale of Circe, the enchantress from the Odyssey, reclaims the story from the men who have told it before. Complete with an intoxicating epic of family rivalry, palace intrigue and love and loss, Circe is a celebration of unflinching female strength in a man’s world.

3
0