The Taylor Trackers: Time Person of the Year

Dear Reader,

On Wednesday, Dec. 6, 2023, the icon Taylor Swift was voted Time’s Person of the Year. Among the list of nominees were King Charles III, Barbie and Vladimir Putin. Nevertheless, our girl remained the 1.

However, there are some who believe this honor is undeserving. To that, we say “You’re On Your Own, Kid.”

Taylor is the last great american dynasty. She is the first female billionaire to earn revenue based solely on her songs and performances. Her Eras Tour alone is set to generate between $1.6 and $1.7 billion by the end of 2024, surpassing Elton John’s five-year-long farewell tour, which generated $939 million. Taylor Swift will accomplish this in two years.

Not only that, but her Eras Tour has brought in a gold rush. Generating $5 billion in consumer spending in the United States alone, some economists believe that the Eras Tour has kept the US out of a recession. Not to mention, her shows generate money for more than just the stadium and Taylor herself. Her concert reportedly brought more revenue to local businesses in Glendale, Arizona than Super Bowl LVII, which was held in the same stadium. With this being said, mayors have been trying to bring Taylor to their cities in an attempt to bring in style.

From what we can tell, Taylor Swift is a lover. She gave $100,000 bonuses to the truck drivers of her tour and quietly donated to food banks on her Eras Tour route. Although the amount of money donated was kept quiet, food banks have reported that the donations were much needed in the aftermath of the pandemic.

Her Midas touch spread beyond tourism, as the NFL is reaping the benefits of her relationship with Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. Travis gained 383K new Instagram followers after the Bears game on Sept. 24, and his jersey sales flew through new skies, increasing by 400% following the game.

Taylor is an activist and spoke out on issues she believed were right, using her media presence to convince over 35,000 people to register to vote in this year’s midterms.

She embodies feminism. She utilized her fame to expose the double standards women are held to in this society and how it is impossible to please everyone.

In a more sentimental light, Taylor created an environment that embodied girlhood and acceptance, a haven from the outside world. People went to her concert to flaunt sparkles and fancy outfits and dance with their hands tied. She brought people together during a time when the world was torn apart. She can give us peace.

In conclusion, long live Taylor Swift.

XOXO,
The Taylor Trackers

1
0