WJ Pitch previews March Madness

WJ Pitch previews March Madness
    1. Kansas.  

After a disappointing championship run last year, the Kansas Jayhawks are right back to becoming a potential number one seed in the midwest. Lead by senior guard Frank Mason III and his backcourt companion Devonte’ Graham, the Jayhawks are a real force to be reckoned with. Statistically speaking, this team does not look like a number one seed. The Jayhawks are tied for 17th in the nation in points scored per game, averaging about 83.5 per game, and they are 185th in points allowed per game, sitting at 72.4 points allowed per game. They would statistically be the worst number one seed in history, but the Jayhawks consistently find a way to win. Senior Frank Mason III leads the team so far this year in both points and assists with just over 20 points a and 5 assists per game. He is accompanied in the backcourt by junior Devonte’ Graham, who averages almost 14 points and 4 assists per game. The dark horse of the team has been five star freshman Josh Jackson, who has been inconsistent during the season. Jackson’s impressive athletic ability is what makes him so dangerous on the court, but he has struggled with turnovers, leading the team in that stat. Jackson has been hot as of late though, averaging almost 17 points per game. If Jackson plays well, the Jayhawks will be a very hard team to beat come March.

1. Gonzaga.

The Gonzaga Bulldogs have had a mixed history in the NCAA Tournament. They usually manage to secure a top seed, but still often become one of the first top seeds to lose. This year could be different for the Bulldogs. They are undefeated through 27 games, beating all of the 4 ranked teams who they faced along the way. One could argue that the team has had a very easy schedule because other powerhouse teams like Kansas have played much more than 4 ranked opponents. Either way, the Bulldogs have not lost a game yet this season. As a team, Gonzaga is 13th in the nation in points scored per game at about 85 points per game, and they are 8th in points allowed per game. The team’s leading scorer and assist maker is junior Nigel Williams-Goss who is averaging just about 16 points and 5 assists per game. Along with Williams-Goss, four other Bulldogs average in the double digit for points per game, a stat that is rare in college hoops. Much like Kansas, their team stats don’t seem very evident of a number one seed, but Gonzaga’s team centered style of play could take them very far in March.

1. Duke.

Aftering entering the season as the consensus number one ranked team in the country and watching the talking heads throw around the words “perfect season”, the Blue Devils season has been anything but perfect. Preseason Wooden Award candidate Grayson Allen has faced both fines and suspensions for his on court antics from both Duke University and the NCAA, hall of fame coach Mike Krzyzewski has sat out multiple league games with lingering back pain after surgery, and highly touted one and done Freshman Harry Giles has failed to live up to his hype. But when winter turns to spring and March rolls around, Duke’s early season struggles will fade into the distant memories of college basketball fans everywhere. Over the past two weeks Duke has pulled off upsets of both #8 North Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium and over #14 Virginia in an impressive road win in a hostile environment in Charlottesville. Heating up heading into the upcoming ACC tournament, don’t be surprised to see the Blue Devils work themselves back into the conversation for one of the all holy spots on a number one line on selection sunday.

1. Maryland

The 2016-17 year was supposed to be a rebuilding year for the Terrapins. The team had lost 4 of its 5 starters from last year’s Sweet Sixteen team and its incoming recruiting class was very talented but very raw. Fast forward 5 months and Maryland is well on its way to one of its best regular seasons in school history. Sitting in a three way tie atop the Big Ten, the Terrapins (22-4) are currently ranked 23rd in the country as they head into the home stretch of the grind that is the conference play season. Junior Melo Trimble leads the squad, bringing not only his exceptional scoring ability to the table (he averages 17.2 points per game), but also an important dose of leadership and mental toughness to what is for the most part a very young team. Outside of Trimble, defensive anchor Damonte Dodd and sharpshooting freshman Kevin Huerter put the Terps in a great position to surprise some people in the NCAA tournament.

0
    0