Fun activities for Fourth of July

Forth of July fireworks displayed at Washington Monument.

Independence day, known for its excitement and pageantry, is a popular day among American citizens. However, while the Fourth of July brings the spectacular fun of fireworks and barbecue, it is a time to celebrate the day our great country was unified as a nation.  

Since we live near the DC area, people tend to celebrate the Fourth of July with a bang. Along with attending the free A Capitol Fourth concert, visitors can celebrate America’s birthday in dozens of venues and in a multitude of ways. Especially with having the privilege of living near the D.C. area, we have a greater opportunity of experiencing the American culture unlike most.

Check out all of the entertaining places where you can experience the fun and spirit of Independence day in the most American of settings.

1. Bake Red, White and Blue Treats

Sugar cookies are a classic American treat, and a delicious dessert. This recipe for sugar cookie bars can get anyone in the kitchen. It’s simple, and the finished product is a great way for both children and adults to decorate the cookies in a patriotic theme. These treats are ideal for an afternoon snack or a party treat but will run out fast so be sure to make plenty!

1. Go to the National Independence Day Parade

If you’re into parades, up along Constitution Avenue is DC’s annual National Independence Day Parade. Anyone who attends can expect to see drum corps, military servicemen and women, elaborate floats and VIPs galore. The parade begins at 11:45 a.m. and is held between 7th and 17th streets.

1. Watch the fireworks against the DC skyline of monuments and memorials

The fireworks are one of the biggest highlights of DC’s Independence Day celebrations and there are plenty of great spots to go see them which include rooftop bars, the steps of the Lincoln Memorial or across the river in Arlington are all great places. The fireworks show in the nation’s capital begins right around nightfall, typically just after 9 p.m.

1. Explore the Smithsonian National Museum of American History

Learning about our country’s history at the fascinating National Museum of American History is an activity that goes perfectly with this holiday. During your visit, you can see the flag that inspired our national anthem and learn fun facts about America’s greatest President for free.

This is just a small list of all the fun and amazing things that can be done for the fourth of July. Being able to celebrate this day with family and friends is very important for our American culture in celebrating the efforts our country has made and our independence.

0
0