BREAKING NEWS: New Principal Announced

*This article has been updated since published.

The Montgomery County Public Schools Board of Education has just named Jennifer Baker as WJ’s new principal. The announcement was released at the Board of Education’s evening meeting tonight on May 23. Baker is currently the principal of Tilden Middle School.

In an e-mail to the listserv on May 6, WJ parent and County Council at-large candidate Jane de Winter explained that the job opening was only posted for one week, and interviews for the position took place on May 12.

“Most applicants [were] either current principals or assistant principals from within the system,” wrote de Winter. “Anyone applying from outside MCPS [was] generally required to have served as a principal previously and also to go through additional HR screening.”

Baker, who has been the principal of Tilden for the past four years, started her career at WJ as a math teacher. She also taught the Leadership class and sponsored the SGA. She looks forward to returning to WJ and working with both familiar and new staff members and students.

“Coming back to WJ as the principal really will be like coming home for me,” she said. “I think it is going to be fantastic and I am really looking forward to it.”

—-

Below is the letter Dr. Garran sent to the WJ community about the new principal.

Dear Staff, Students and Parents:

I am pleased to announce that the Montgomery County Public Schools’ Board of Education has appointed Mrs. Jennifer Baker, currently principal of Tilden Middle School, as Walter Johnson High School’s next principal. This appointment is effective July 1, 2011. Mrs. Baker began her teaching career at Walter Johnson where she worked in the math department, taught the school’s leadership class and sponsored the Student Government Association. She was an active and involved faculty member. Since entering administration, she has served in the role of assistant principal at both North Bethesda Middle School and Walt Whitman High School. For the past four years, she has the served the WJ community as Tilden’s principal.

I had the opportunity to teach with Mrs. Baker at WJ and I am very happy that she is returning as your next principal. Throughout her administrative career, Mrs. Baker and I have been close professional colleagues and I look forward to working with her in our new roles. She is extremely dedicated to young people and she will be a visible and involved leader. (I suspect that she will even let you duct tape her to a wall!)

From my recent conversations with Mrs. Baker, she is thrilled to be returning to WJ. I know that you will join me in welcoming her “home” to Walter Johnson. In June, once the Class of 2011 Commencement is completed, there will be opportunities for Mrs. Baker and me to work on the transition in order to make sure that it is smooth for everyone.

Again, I am very happy to welcome Mrs. Jennifer Baker as Walter Johnson’s new principal. If I have to pass this incredible job to someone else, then I am glad that it is going to a colleague for whom I hold so much respect and admiration.

Sincerely,

Christopher Garran, Ph.D.

Principal

0
0