Music Highlights For the Week of Nov. 10

The fourth quarter of the year is always an exciting time in music. Within the past week we have seen surprise releases, album announcements and extraordinary covers and music videos.

Here are the best musical highlights of the past week:

-On Nov. 6, Harlem rapper Azealia Banks dropped a “Beyonce” and surprise released her very delayed debut album, “Broke With Expensive Taste.” The day marked 1,151 days after the first single, “212,” was released, which is an outlandishly unusual wait in the music industry, but this delay was no surprise. Banks split from her record label, Interscope, home to Lana Del Rey and Maroon 5, back in July of this year. Now, she is thriving, joining “team independent,” teaming up with an indie label, with the album peaking at number three on iTunes day of release. “Broke With Expensive Taste” is now  the number one newest released album of the week, surpassing hit-maker Calvin Harris’ new album, “Motion.”

-Marina and The Diamonds is ready to break out of her cult status with her third studio album, “Froot,” which she announced is set to be released in April of next year. The title track has been out since September and opened to mass critical acclaim, but the music video was released this past week and is as juicy as the song’s numerous ripe innuendos.

-Former Disney star Nick Jonas released a gospel version of his single, “Jealous,” giving a whole new meaning to the phrase, “take me to church.” This variant gives off the sensation of Natasha Bedingfield’s gospel bridge in her 2005 hit, “Unwritten.”  Jonas will definitely inspire a generation to wake up for church bright and early if he keeps up with these remakes.

0
0