Beyonce’s newest single puts us in a Lone-Star state of mind

Beyonc%C3%A9+performs+at+her+Renaissance+movie+in+a+stunning+green+dress.++The+fashion+icon+and+iconic+star+has+transformed+pop+and+R%26B+music+and+with+the+release+of+her+song%2C+TEXAS+HOLD+EM%2C+she+could+transform+the+country+music+industry+as+well.++
Mackenzie Norris
Beyoncé performs at her Renaissance movie in a stunning green dress. The fashion icon and iconic star has transformed pop and R&B music and with the release of her song, “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM,” she could transform the country music industry as well.

Queen Bey is back with the new release of her single “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM,” a country track that puts us in a Lone Star state of mind. The song is beautiful and takes Beyoncé back to her Texas roots. Naturally, she has topped the charts with this country hit, debuting at number 4 on the Billboard Global 200. Since then, the song has topped the charts with 32.9 million streams and counting.

This song could be the driving force behind people’s changing views on country music. With help from country artists such as Zach Bryan, Luke Combs and Morgan Wallen, country has increased in popularity and started to reach the younger generations. 

However, with a superstar artist like Beyoncé stepping into this genre, it would not be surprising that her fans and others who enjoy the song would begin to explore the country world a little more.  

Following its release, “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” rocketed to the top of the country charts, making Beyoncé the first Black woman to hold this spot. The release of “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” has ignited discussions on Black musicians’ place within country music and their successes within the industry. It has also increased the popularity of Black country artists on streaming services and radio stations in general.

Beyoncé’s next album, “Act II: Cowboy Carter,” is a country album and the second act of her 2022 “Renaissance” album. “Renaissance” was the first act of Beyoncé’s three-act project, and the first album borrowed heavily from post-1970s black dance music.  

However, some do not appreciate Beyoncé’s transition into country music, claiming her song “TEXAS HOLD ‘EM” has too much of a pop sound and is not true country music. Others believe that her song sounds like the 1997 children’s cartoon “Franklin.” 

Nevertheless, others are defending Beyoncé and her new sound. When an Oklahoma country radio station was not playing the number-one hit, fans ran to Beyoncé’s defense. The station, 100.1 KYKC, explained that they “do not play Beyoncé as we are a country music station.”  

Fans began their social media outreach by claiming the response was “blatant racism.” When these accusations were made, the station played Beyoncé’s song “at least three times on their airwaves,” according to USA Today. The station then explained that it plays her songs on other pop stations, not the country music station, further proving that some believe this new song is not pure country.

Country fans should be careful with the critique and backlash they give Beyoncé’s new song, as this could be exactly what country music needs to attract more listeners. Sometimes it’s the cowgirl attitude that makes country music country, not the sound. Throughout this song, Beyoncé definitely showed her Texas spirit, as she grew up in Houston, Texas.  

It is nice to see a side of Beyoncé we do not normally get, as she often keeps her personal life personal.

Her new country album, “Act II: Cowboy Carter,” is set to release on March 29  and it will be sure to top the charts like her other projects. 

23
4
15
$775
$1000