WJ Students react to “2022’s Sexiest Man Alive” Chris Evans

Junior Brandon Moon catches up with the latest copy of People Magazine on Nov 18 at Giant. He was shopping at Giant when the cover model of People Magazine, Chris Evans, caught his eye. “Chris Evans is a very fine looking man, but I personally believe that Michael B. Jordan should have won the [Sexiest Man Alive] title again,” Moon said.
Photo by Sara Elster

On Nov 8, senior Clara Neal woke up and checked her Instagram. The first thing she saw on her feed was a new post by People Magazine. It was finally time. The People have spoken and 2022’s Sexiest Man Alive has been chosen. And the winner is…

Chris Evans, as selected internally by the magazine, and the students of WJ are buzzing about it. Arguments in hallways, gossip in bathrooms and debates over who should have won in classrooms. People Magazine has spoken, but are the students happy with this decision?

A portion of students wholeheartedly agrees with the choice solely because of Evans’ looks.
“He’s got big muscles, a great face, nice facial hair and hair, nice bone structure and a chiseled jawline from the gods. It’s like Michelangelo sculpted his face,” junior Guilherme Bonzi said.

Others agree with the choice, but because of his character in addition to his physical attractiveness.

“I feel that Chris Evans is deserving of the Sexiest Man Alive, but not only on the basis of looks. For me, it’s the actions that create a person deserving of the title. Chris Evans has consistently proved himself to be a kind and considerate human being in addition to being attractive,” Neal said.

On the other hand, some passionate students disagree with the decision. Students believe that other celebrities, like Timothee Chalamet, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds or Chris Hemsworth, should have won the title instead.

“Personally, I think ‘sexy’ is an opinion, and I think Chris Evans is not the sexiest man alive,” sophomore Barett Zheng said.

Furthermore, most students agree that there is a certain criterion that should be used to determine the sexiest man alive, namely physical aspects like hair, eyes, jawline and muscles. However, more controversially other students believe that contenders need to be agreeable, famous and talented in addition to their features.

“Being the sexiest man alive definitely has the superficial aspect of a man’s looks, but at least to me, the men chosen are usually positive male figures,” Neal said, “The sexiest man alive is someone who goes above and beyond to make a positive impact, be kind and inspire others (and who looks good doing it).”

Several students have also noticed a trend in the line of People Magazine’s sexiest men. Generally, all of the past sexiest men have had similar physical characteristics, like their hair and physical build.

“I feel like they’re all really buff, but a guy doesn’t need to be super buff and shredded to be sexy. I personally don’t think being shredded is all that attractive. People Magazine needs to look at the younger generation to see who they think is sexy when they choose the Sexiest Man Alive,” junior Ada Hillman said.

2
0