Olivia Rodrigo spills her “GUTS” again on deluxe edition of hit album

Olivia Rodrigos deluxe album GUTS (spilled) was released this March, following the original acclaimed album GUTS. The deluxe edition features five new tracks.
Courtesy Geffen Records
Olivia Rodrigo’s deluxe album “GUTS (spilled)” was released this March, following the original acclaimed album “GUTS.” The deluxe edition features five new tracks.

Due to the immense popularity of her hit album “GUTS,” Olivia Rodrigo seemed poised to release a deluxe edition of the release. The deluxe edition, “GUTS (spilled)” was finally released on March 22, over six months after the original. While not as powerful as certain tracks on the original, the five new tracks are highly enjoyable and fit well within the release. Rodrigo still maintained the rock foundation of “GUTS,” but for three of the five tracks, she added a new folk influence, a new layer to the musical journey of the album.

New tracks (ranked)
1.) "girl i’ve always been" Rating: ☆☆☆☆☆

Incorporating a new twist on a genre into one’s music can always have mixed results; not all of the folk-influenced tracks on this deluxe album were strong. However, “girl i’ve always been” very quickly solidified itself as the best of the bunch. My only complaint is that it’s too short — clocking in at just 2:01. The shining point of this song is the fun that it’s clearly imbued with. When listening, you can tell just how much Rodrigo enjoyed recording it. The lyrics are insolent by nature, and Rodrigo’s delivery is perfectly cloying. At the end, the chords partially drop out, leaving Rodrigo’s voice isolated for a perfect outro.

2.) "obsessed" Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Of the new tracks, “obsessed” is the most classically Rodrigo. Its music video is very well-produced, and adds to the overall experience. The rock influence is well utilized, and vocal effects are used similarly to how they were on the original version of “GUTS.” A powerful drum beat accompanies lyrics detailing Rodrigo’s fixation on her boyfriend’s ex. One major criticism of this song is that it’s too childish. What critics seem to miss is that that’s essential to all of Rodrigo’s work, especially her best. The edge that this gives to her music is irreplaceable, and has led to her evolution into a larger musical landscape. “obsessed” may not be Rodrigo’s best execution of this formula, but it’s a great song nonetheless.

3.) "so american" Rating: ☆☆☆☆

While “girl i’ve always been” is fun, “so american” takes it up a million notches. My impression of this track is that it’s about the honeymoon phase of a relationship; that moment where you’re so in love with someone that you want to spend every single moment with them. Lyrics such as “Oh god it’s just not fair of him/To make me feel this much/I’ll go anywhere he goes” and “Can’t have conversation if it’s not all about you” detail Rodrigo’s fixation on this relationship. “so american” is a little burst of adrenaline; between Rodrigo’s incredible delivery and the fast-paced instrumental, this track manages to make you feel just how you imagine Rodrigo must have felt while writing and recording it.

4.) "stranger" Rating: ☆☆☆

This track fits into the common mold of a song designed to be performed at a concert. It features Rodrigo fully leaning into the breathy, folky part of her voice, with decent results. It’s not really a unique track, but it’s enjoyable all the same. It features classic folk guitar and has some well-done vocal layering. Accompanied by Rodrigo’s incredible ability to emote vocally, “stranger” is bound to induce tears at one of her world tour dates.

5.) "scared of my guitar" ☆☆

This track feels, to me, like the one misstep on this entire release. It’s not unenjoyable, but it simply feels unnecessary. It fits the same mold as “stranger,” but lacks the folky edge that makes that track more entertaining. It’s repetitive, but the hook isn’t one I like. It also feels entirely too long; at 4:23, it’s over a minute longer than any of the other new tracks. This might just be a personal preference. I can see how for a certain audience this song may be very enjoyable, but it just isn’t for me. 

0
0