2024 Grammy nominations: Pitch editors reveal their picks for the four major categories

Courtesy Flickr
The Grammy Awards, hosted annually, are regarded as the most major American music awards. This year’s nominees are full of beloved and commercially acclaimed songs, albums and artists.

Album of the Year
“World Music Radio” – Jon Batiste
“the record” – boygenius
“Endless Summer Vacation” – Miley Cyrus
“Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” – Lana Del Rey
“The Age Of Pleasure” – Janelle Monáe
“GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo
“Midnights” – Taylor Swift
“SOS” – SZA

Mia’s Pick: “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo
Olivia Rodrigo’s “GUTS” is not only my pick for Album of the Year; it’s also solidified its place as one of my favorite albums of all time. Rodrigo blends pop and rock in an impressive fashion. The hooks are incredibly memorable and her lyrics feel tangible and relatable. “GUTS” encapsulates a variety of moods, from the powerful piano balladry of the thrice nominated “vampire” to the loud and vibrant “ballad of a homeschooled girl” (nominated for Best Rock Song).

Mackenzie’s Pick: “Midnights” – Taylor Swift
Taylor Swift is the moment. She is the music industry. “Midnights” was more upbeat than previous albums, providing listeners with a much-needed break from the psychological torment of existing. This album narrates midnight ruminations and features more electropop sounds, giving a wave of nostalgia for Swifties as different songs matched the sound of different albums. Swift explores anxiety, self-depreciation, and romantic altercations. As someone who thoroughly enjoys Swift’s storytelling lyricism, I found this album exciting to listen to. Aside from my Swiftie bias, this album broke countless records, such as being the most streamed album on Spotify in 24 hours.

Record of the Year
“Worship” – Jon Batiste
“Not Strong Enough” – boygenius
“Flowers” – Miley Cyrus
“What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eilish
“On My Mama” – Victoria Monét
“Vampire” – Olivia Rodrigo
“Anti-Hero” – Taylor Swift
“Kill Bill” – SZA

Mia’s Pick: “Vampire” – Olivia Rodrigo
“Vampire” is a power ballad for the ages. A dynamic piano instrumentation is supplemented by rock-influenced guitars, drums and synths. Rodrigo’s catchy and heart-wrenching lyricism makes “Vampire” a perfect song for staring at your ceiling at 3 a.m., but also for scream-singing in the car, surrounded by your closest friends. The song has had massive popularity and success, topping the charts in six countries (including the U.S.), and reaching the top 10 in 12 others. Its three nominations speak for themselves — this song is nothing short of a masterpiece.

Mackenzie’s Pick: “What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eilish
The Record of the Year column focuses on the production of the song and the song itself. So, of course, I had to go with a song with heartfelt lyrics and a beautifully mellow piano. First, the lyrics are very relatable for those experiencing the turbulence of life. She touches on the emotional journey of self-discovery and the internal war that comes with being alive. Eilish encapsulates these emotions immaculately, creating a song that, at its core, is the adolescent experience and life experience as a whole.

Song of the Year
“A&W” – Lana Del Rey
“Anti-Hero” – Taylor Swift
“Butterfly” – Jon Batiste
“Dance The Night” – Dua Lipa
“Flowers” – Miley Cyrus
“Kill Bill” – SZA
“Vampire” – Olivia Rodrigo
“What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eilish

Mia’s Pick: “Kill Bill” – SZA
I have to attribute this pick to my personal bias. “Kill Bill” is one of my most streamed songs this year, greatly due to its laid-back, groovy and addictive nature. SZA’s vocals are enthralling and calming, and her hooks pull the listener through an intriguing story of revenge and murder. The song has also had a great deal of commercial success. The song was consistently atop charts such as the Billboard 200 and Billboard Hot 100, and at the time of writing has amassed nearly 1.5 billion streams on Spotify.

Mackenzie’s Pick: “Flowers” – Miley Cyrus
2023 was a year of embracing girlhood and feminism; if they had an anthem, it would be this song. Cyrus encapsulates the importance of self-worth and realizing toxicity in a relationship through this song, and I love her for it. Who knew that a song about a divorce could be this inspiring and upbeat? Nevertheless, Cyrus achieves it with empowering lyrics and an electro-pop beat. The catchy lyrics and basic beat make it the ultimate pop song, yet I haven’t gotten bored of it. I don’t know how she does it, but I’m not complaining. This song is perfect for car rides, getting ready in the morning, or dancing in the kitchen. During a year of Barbie, The Eras Tour and The Renaissance Tour, “Flowers” definitely encapsulated the zeitgeist of 2023.

Best New Artist
Gracie Abrams
Fred again..
Ice Spice
Jelly Roll
Coco Jones
Noah Kahan
Victoria Monét
The War And Treaty

Mia’s Pick: Ice Spice
Ice Spice is a cultural phenomenon. In a Billboard article written earlier this year, music label executives were interviewed about the lack of true popstars; Ice Spice was one of two names listed as the only recent legitimate breakout stars. With her fresh approach to drill, Ice Spice has emerged as a contender in the music industry, gaining countless fans. She’s had viral collaborations, such as those with PinkPantheress (“Boy’s a liar Pt. 2”) and Nicki Manaj (“Barbie World”, from the “Barbie” soundtrack). Her solo songs have received great attention as well, including her breakout hit “Munch (Feelin’ U)” and more recent singles “In Ha Mood” and “Deli.” Her commercial success is evident; she has the most Billboard Hot 100 top-five singles of any artist in 2023, and she has the most monthly Spotify listeners out of all of the nominees.

Mackenzie’s Pick: Noah Kahan
Although I am very conflicted with Gracie Abrams and Noah Kahan being listed under the same category, as my Spotify would share, Noah Kahan has placed himself among my top five artists of this year. His lyricism and mixing of upbeat and mellow music have increased his popularity, especially among adolescents, as he impeccably encapsulates feeling trapped at home while simultaneously aching to go home. Kahan’s songwriting is heartfelt, powerful, and painfully relatable. He also managed to quench singles with well-known artists Hozier and Kacey Musgraves and growing artist Lizzy McAlpine. Statistically, Kahan’s album placed third on the US Billboard Hot 200, and he deserves recognition for being a lyrical genius.

0
0