Five Things You’ll Miss About WJ . . .

1.
The Teachers

From teaching us what a thesis is to attempting to demystify precalculus, WJ’s teachers have imparted invaluable readin’, ritin’, and ‘rithmatic skills that will stay with us for years to come. Most importantly, they made it pretty fun along the way. Between the strangely engrossing educational videos and the PowerPoint jeopardy games, there were times when we looked forward to class more than we probably care to admit. Teachers, I will miss you all a lot, and yes, I will be that weirdly overenthusiastic college freshman who visits you once a month. Don’t pretend you’re not looking forward to it.

2. The Spirit

We have so much spirit at WJ that we needed not one, but two, mascots (and three if your counting the 300 fanatics who wanted to bring the Spartans back). Whether you structured your social life around those Mighty Moo Facebook reminders or you only went to the occasional game, it’s a nice feeling to go to a school where everyone is eager to storm the field when the football team wins a game or take a bus to the state championships to support the soccer team’s bid for glory. Not to mention the turnout and support for S*T*A*G*E’s amazing productions or all the students who show up at band and orchestra concerts to clap for their friends. No matter what the venue, our peers were always ready to congratulate and support each other when hard work and enthusiasm were involved.

3. The Traditions

Senior shed. Color wars. Members of the SGA gamely cross-dressing for yet another male poms routine/Spice Girls skit/random Friday afternoon. Whether you lived for pep rallies or totally hated them, the crazy spirit was always a fun tradition to see, plus the myriad of sexual-innuendo laden puffy paint shirts on any given day (“We do it in the woods!” “Kiss my ace!”). Senior year starts with one of the best traditions of all: painting your name in big white letters on the senior shed (or in my case my initials, slightly below grass level). There are even some events held year after year that we probably don’t even stop to realize are WJ traditions: PPP fundraiser events, Mr. and Miss WJ, One Acts, the end of year art show, and the psych fair, to name a few. There are also the harder to define traditions, like the location and pecking order of the senior hallway or the giant freshmen clusters in the G-wing. We have a lot of traditions at WJ, and I think when it comes time to look back, we will remember them fondly.

4. The Campus

Yes, I think you will miss the actual, physical WJ. Considering how bitterly I (and probably most of the senior class) have complained about construction and all it entailed, this argument might seem surprising. But consider this: the WJ you know now will be a totally different place next year than the one you stepped into four years ago. Not only does the G-wing now connect (!), but we have new hallways, new science and languages classrooms, and a brand-new auditorium and athletic center. And then there are the memories of our first open lunch on the benches outside as freshmen, our first ventures to Giant and G-square and the first time we got to park in the parking lot. When we visit next year, we will still be at WJ, but I will always hold a special place in my heart for the “cages” in the old locker rooms and the creepiest, darkest parts of the old G-wing.

5. Portable City

This one might seem strange, and I understand that. But hear me out. We really bonded over how much we hate Portable City. Also, those portables were really toasty in the winter! And the way teachers can control the heating/cooling in each unit? That was also pretty great! So yes, I think you will miss Portable City (if only for all of the trailer park jokes/weather-related complaints you’ll have to give up when you wave it your last goodbye).

0
0