Restaurant Review: Public Bar

Nachos dish at Public Bar.
Photo by Julieta Gozalo-Michaud
Nachos dish at Public Bar.

Many students find themselves flocking to Chipotle for a quick lunch, or going to the Silver Diner with friends during the weekend, but there is an abundance of restaurants that most students are not aware of. Here are some restaurants in our area that are not regularly in the spotlight.

Pricing: $ to $$$$

Rating: * to ****

Public Bar ****, $$
4611 41st St NW, Washington, DC 20016
Sun – Thurs: 11 a.m. -2 a.m.
Fri – Sat: 11 a.m.- 3 a.m.
This D.C. location operates as a restaurant, sports bar and lounge, offering a variety of food for the most hardcore sports fan, or for a family with young children. The main floor has 31 TVs surrounding the tables and facing the bar, with a large wall-to-wall projector screen used during popular sports games. The upstairs lounge contains 10  TVs with couches and another bar. There is also a deck  for mild autumn evenings.
The food is mostly American style, with a variety of burgers, pizzas, hot wings and salads. They offer different deals every day, including five dollar wraps and three dollar tacos. Highlights from the menu consist of jalapeno poppers, a classic burger and mountain of wings, which consists of 20 drummetes and flats, which can be ordered with what the employees call suicide sauce.
The restaurant does have dim lighting, which can make some of the older patrons have difficulty reading the menu, but it gives the restaurant a laid back feeling. Most of the patrons watch sports on the screen, and noise can be a bit of an issue, but the quality of the food makes up for it.
The servers are welcoming and knowledgeable of most of the sports games that are going on, and deliver the food quickly and efficiently to your table. Bonus star for sometimes showing “The Walking Dead” episodes on the large screen when it premieres. The location is about a 30-minute drive from Rockville, and it is not suggested to go out alone at night in the area. The restaurant is accessible by Metro through the Red Line by the stop Telneytown – AU.

0
0