Canned food drive makes large donations to the needy

WJ has conducted a canned food drive for many years. Each year, pounds of canned food are donated to WJ, then given to the people in need through the Manna Food Drive. The drive is one of the many events that the WJ community participates in to help the underprivileged.

Many people feel the need to help those who are less fortunate, such as sophomore Ashley Smith, who donated cans this year and in past years.

“I decided to donate cans because I knew it was a good cause. I wanted to help end hunger,” Smith said.

Some students do not realize the bigger cause to which the canned food brings attention. Leadership class sponsor Rainer Kulenkampff oversees the canned food drive and makes sure the food is accessible to those in need.

“The food goes to the Manna Food Center and then they distribute it,” Kulenkampff said. 

Smith says that the canned food drive is very important because it helps families who don’t have enough food or money to buy food.

“In my opinion, donating cans is very important because some people out there don’t have a lot of food, but people like me have extra food, so why not share it with the world?” Smith said.

Many strategies are used to encourage students and teachers to donate. Senior Lucy Knapp, who is in leadership class, is very involved with the planning of the canned food drive.

“We have created competitions among grades to bring in the most cans that will be incentived with some sort of food,” Knapp said.

Many students have not heard about the canned food drive because some say it is not advertised enough; Kulenkampff wants to make sure that the word gets out.

“The SGA has used their Instagram account, they put in on the Mad Cows Facebook group, and we have announced it over the loudspeaker on a number of occasions,” Kulenkampff said.

Smith believes that these motivating factors are successful but more can be done to bring in more cans.

“I think that they should give a prize to whichever student brings in the most cans,” Smith said.

The class competition aspect of the event seems to inspire people of different grades to donate. They may want to because they would like to be seen as part of the best class at WJ. 

“It tends to be the seniors that win every year,” Kulenkampff said. 

Many cans are donated each year, all of them going to families in need. 

Last year over 1,000 pounds worth of cans were donated. This year’s goal for the amount of cans donated is much higher than that of years past.

“Our goal this year is to raise 1,185 pounds of canned food. If people bring in cans, then we will definitely reach our goal, so we need to make sure that everyone brings as much canned food as possible,” Knapp said.

With this goal set and the competition in place,  it is now time to see which class can bring in the most cans and if WJ can achieve the objective of donating the most cans.

0
0