Leaving a legacy: The impact of graduation on siblings

Photo courtesy of Lucy Sher
Now senior Jake Sher and freshman Lucy Sher can be seen as younger kids. They are now all grown up and Jake will be graduating as Lucy stays home to finish off her high school years.

As graduation season approaches, the focus is often on the seniors themselves, their accomplishments and their future plans. But what about the siblings left behind? For many younger brothers and sisters, the end of the school year can induce a mix of emotions. It can be a bittersweet time, but also one that can be filled with hope and anticipation for what the future holds.

For some siblings, the approaching departure of their brother or sister can be particularly difficult. On the one hand, they may be excited for their sibling to embark on new adventures and achieve their goals.

“At the same time I’m proud of him [Jake Sher] and I’m glad he’s going to be able to go out into the world and live by himself and do the things that he loves,” freshman Lucy Sher said.

On the other hand, they may feel sad or anxious about the idea of not seeing their sibling as often or not having them under the same roof anymore.

It may feel like the younger sibling will receive more attention after the older one has made its move. This can be an unfamiliar feeling that would require getting used to.

“I’m sad for her [Megan Fannon] to go. I feel like I’m going to be alone next year cause I’m the youngest. It’s become empty in the hallways and around the house,” junior Gillian Fannon said.

For others, the parting of their sibling may come with a sense of relief. They may have felt overshadowed or compared to their older sibling throughout their high school years, and are looking forward to having more space to grow into their own person.

Some are in despair that they won’t have a ride to school anymore. Many students are now forced to rely on student-packed buses or have to search for other modes of transportation to get to school.

“He [George Koutromanos] used to take me to school but now I gotta take the bus instead which can be annoying,” sophomore Savvas Koutromanos said.

Some people believe that not having their siblings around may be unnoticeable and even have some benefits.

“I don’t necessarily see my sister [Mina Bennett] that often [at school], I mean my friends and I took her pretty cool lunch spot but it hasn’t been too different because we normally didn’t see each other anyway,” freshman Bertie Bennett said.

Many siblings are reassured that leaving home doesn’t mean leaving their close-knit relationships behind. Siblings can stay connected through regular phone calls, facetimes and visits to home during the long college breaks such as spring break and summer.

Lots of people are trying to find different ways to cope with this new change and looking for different ways to adjust. There are those who are looking ahead at the future, while others try to savor the summer that’s left to make the most of the time they have.

“I’ve mostly been trying to get past it because I know that’s what happens when you grow up and I’m gonna miss him [Pablo Foley] but it’s good that he is growing up,” junior Lucas Foley said.

0
0