Students dress up, look ahead to Homecoming dance

Photo by Maayan Keren
Junior Lena Sbaschnig shops for dresses on the Windsor website. “I prefer in-store shopping so I can try on the dresses but online shopping has many more options,” Sbaschnig said.

As the new school year kicks off, students are buzzing with anticipation for this special evening that promises excitement, glamor and unforgettable memories. The school will unite together under twinkling lights and dance the night away.

Homecoming is one of the first events of the school year that is taking place in the middle of football season this year. Many students shop for months in advance to find the perfect outfit, opting to either shop in person or take a risk and shop online.

Shopping for outfits can be stressful on people especially if they want to find the perfect one. If students wait too long to shop, it could be very difficult for them to find a good outfit and everything could sell out depending on the store they go to.

“I just got my dress after the most gut wrenching two months and I had two mental breakdowns before I found my dress,” sophomore Yael Saltzman said.

Shopping for outfits can be stressful on people especially if they want to find the perfect one.

This is a chance for students to clean themselves up, go take pictures at the Washington, D.C. monuments and head to a classy dinner afterwards. Many students enjoy getting glamoured up with their friends, strengthening friendship bonds.

Students often face the grueling decision of whether or not they even want to attend the actual Homecoming dance. Some people like to go to the dance with their friends, but others prefer to plan a different activity like going to parties.

“I’m not sure if I’m going to the actual dance yet because I’m a senior and I didn’t go last year, but it’s my last opportunity. I don’t know if I’m going with my friends yet,” senior Marina Thorn said.

The Homecoming dance keeps people on their toes by changing from year to year. In 2022, the dance was held on Oct. 28 instead of at the beginning of the month. Last school year, the dance was held outside on the tennis courts so many people are curious about how the dance will be organized this year. They have high hopes that it will be an enchanting night.

“I’m looking forward to just hanging out with friends. I hope the dance itself is a little better than previous years, but I think WJ can make it exciting and live up to the expectations,” sophomore Roi Porat-Shliom said.

Attending Homecoming is a short lived, fun-filled experience, only available during the four years of high school. It helps form life-long memories and friendships for those who attend.

“I think the freshmen and sophomores, the underclassmen, should definitely go because you’re not gonna get this opportunity once you leave high school and it’s worth it to go with different people,” senior Raphael Salamon said.

Despite Homecoming still being a month away, students are readily anticipating Oct. 7. This is the seniors’ final opportunity to dance it out at Homecoming, while freshmen are just starting to get a taste.

“I think it will be cool to check out what the dance will be like and I’m looking forward to getting dressed up and being able to hangout with my friends,” freshman Anna Bennett said.

4
0