Tips and tricks for the upcoming flu season

Illustration by Rhea Noumair
“Prevention of illness should be prioritized just as much as treating active symptoms : get your flu shot,” senior Samantha Mouyard said.

Flu season is right around the corner. According to the CDC, flu activity often increases in October and peaks between December and February. Although getting the flu may be inevitable at times, especially in school settings, there are many ways to decrease the possibility of getting it.

The first universally well-known tip is to habituate washing your hands. To remove germs and bacteria, the CDC recommends a minimum of 20 seconds to wash our hands with soap. Counting 20 seconds in our head or out loud is a way to ensure that we are washing our hands the right way. “Big one: wash your hands. It’s something we can work on here at WJ,” school health room technician Daniel Yankie said.

Another tip is to get vaccinated early. According to the Mayo Clinic, it can take up to two weeks to build immunity after a flu shot. Furthermore, it is better to be vaccinated early because the flu can spread in one’s community at any time. Until December 31st, CVS is offering a $5 off $20 discount for those who get a flu shot.

Drinking enough water on a daily basis is also important as water and fluids support the immune system. “I drink a lot of water and tea to hydrate,” sophomore Elene Didebashvili said.

It is also difficult to tell if one has the flu or if they are feeling fatigued from something else. Therefore it is very important to consult with your doctor. “Unless you see a doctor it’s difficult to diagnose yourself. It’s 2023 so you can have the flu, the common cold, RSV or Covid,” said Yankie.

Staying at home when experiencing flu symptoms is a way to protect those at school and home. “It’s important to protect your friends and classmates. So if you’re coughing and sneezing, probably think about wearing a mask. If you have a fever, stay home for 24 hours. (Which is MCPS school policy),” said Yankie.

Students also mentioned their way of having a way to ease their flu symptoms by feeling cozy and relaxed. “I watch comfort TV shows and I mope around all day with my dog at home,” senior Samantha Mouyard said.

Yankie also mentioned how experiencing the flu as a high schooler and adult is different so it is important to be prepared at all times. “Have a little supply kit in your backpack. Every student should have a bottle of water, a little snack like a granola bar, cough drops, and some tissues. This prepares you for college and life when there’s not going to be a health room that you can pop into,” Yankie said.

The upcoming flu season is a perfect time to reflect on our health and build healthy habits.

0
0