WJ seasons up Homecoming hallways

Photo by Zoe Ottenritter
Seniors show their winter wonderland fairytale in the Student Commons.

Each year, the Friday before Homecoming is filled with fun themes and celebrations, and this year’s theme was the four seasons. Each grade went head to head against each other to hopefully take home the first-place spot for best decorations. Hallways were presented and walked through on Oct. 6th. SGA, grade level leadership and volunteers prepared hard and it is time to give them the credit they deserve.

In first place, seniors held the Winter theme. They brought to life a winter wonderland of white and blue. Senior Class Secretary Adam Dincin worked alongside his other officers for the past three weeks to bring it all together. They met every day after school to cut, tape and paint decor. Volunteers asked for materials from the school as well as ordering materials to their own homes to make sure it looked the best it could.

“The biggest struggle is people not showing up and helping out. It is also very time-consuming because sometimes I will be here for six hours and then have to go home and continue to work on decorations,” Dincin said.

In second place, juniors brought the heat with their summer-themed hallway. In addition to after-school preparations, they had been meeting during lunches to print and cut decor to try and get ahead. Having Homecoming earlier this year has been an adjustment for students. It was a challenge to get materials and volunteers in advance.

“Collaborating with the people in our class government has been my favorite part about homecoming hallways,” junior class Secretary Zein Salah.

Additionally, the sophomores were fall-themed. In room 122, they had been cutting out designs, going to the Dollar Store and organizing the students together to prepare. Sophomores have the longest hallway. which raises the challenge of needing more materials.

Finally, the freshman had spring as their theme. They had many flowers and included springtime holidays, like St. Patrick’s Day. Being new to high school and this tradition all together, they were faced with a disadvantage, but stepped up and worked with what they were given.

“One of the biggest struggles is that you have to wait till the morning to put up the decorations. To help with that. we have been branching out with social media and morning announcements to recruit more people,” sophomore Class President Anna Jhon said.

This is a huge tradition at WJ and is amazing to see how every grade puts its own spin on their theme each year. By coming up with unique themes and activities, Homecoming has turned into a fun event for the whole school to participate in. In addition to this tradition surrounding Homecoming, there is the annual movie and the dance itself. Though the preparation can be a lot of stress and preparation, it brings the community together and shows class spirit.

1
0