LeadHer club inspires feminist leaders

Courtesy LeadHer club
The LeadHer club hosted guest speaker Elisabeth Bumiller in the fall. Bumiller is the Washington bureau chief of the New York Times.

Walter Johnson has a new generation of feminist leaders rising up as a united force. WJ’s LeadHer club is striving to inspire young women to take action within their communities and to bring awareness to gender inequality in other nations.

In the fall of 2022, club president senior Sreya Bhattacharyya sat down in a hallway with LeadHer’s vice president, senior Miriam Bernstein, to form a club that catered to their passions for inspiring younger women and teaching them to value their education. Since then, Bhattacharyya and Bernstein have recruited seniors Sophia Schechner and Mackenzie Norris, who fill the roles of the club’s treasurer and secretary, to help them fulfill their missions.

At each meeting, the club’s four officers stand at the front of room 106 as they inform club members of their newest proposals to raise support and awareness for the many valued causes of the club. Recently, LeadHer teamed up with the Middle East and North African and Bake for Kindness clubs to plan a bake sale. All of the proceeds from this event will be donated to the Daughters for Life Foundation, a Canadian charity that strives to advocate for women’s education in the Middle East.

LeadHer also points out the importance of educating people from wealthier countries on the realities of developing nations.
“A lot of people know about Malala and they know about the big stuff but they don’t know about all the stuff that’s happening in all of the other underdeveloped countries,” Schechner said.

One of LeadHer’s main goals is to educate girls on how impactful they are in their communities and how important their education is.

“It’s terrible that there are girls around the globe that don’t realize the true power of being a leader and having an education,” Bhattacharyya said.

Not only do LeadHer’s officers speak to students themselves, but they also invite many other women who have gone through failures and successes to share their wisdom at their biweekly meetings. The club has hosted numerous speakers including Montgomery County’s 2021-22 Student Member of the Board, Hana O’Looney.

Outside of school, LeadHer works with the Days for Girls Organization, a charity that utilizes resources and volunteering from people across the US to help send period products to women in developing nations. In March of 2023, members of LeadHer volunteered with this organization as they packaged menstrual kits for women in need.

“We want every person that comes here to know that they are strong, they can be leaders, their ideas are valid and worthy and they should speak up and spread their voice around,” Bernstein said.

3
1
$775
$1000