Belly-Dancing Junior Auditions for ‘America’s Got Talent’

“Imagine a time, long, long ago. . .when women bonded through the sway of ancient rhythms, where thoughts gave way to the expression of synchronized movement that enlivened body an soul, when dance celebrated all aspects of life, from birth to death.”–Najwah.com

This is the mission of Ancient Rhythms, a nationally-acclaimed dance troupe based in Washington, D.C. The troupe was recently invited to audition for the hit television show “America’s Got Talent,” airing on NBC. One of the members of the troupe is junior Daryl Oh, who joined in eighth grade after being introduced to the group by troupe member Carlyn Rosenblum.

“I love it,” she said. “We are all really close and it is like our own little family.”

The troupe was started over 20 years ago by Karen McLane, also known as Najwah, a nationally acclaimed belly dancer who performed in front of audiences such as the Egyptian Embassy and the World Bank. The troupe is comprised of 11 members from the Washington area, and they travel the country performing and teaching their unique style of Middle Eastern belly dancing.

The group’s success prompted talent scouts from the TV show to contact them about performing on the show.

“I was excited, but overall we were not taking it too seriously,” said Oh.

Their performance date has not yet been announced.

0
0