Former Counselor Carole Boris Dies After Battle with Cancer

Former resource counselor Carole Boris passed away in her sleep in the early morning hours of March 23 after a long battle with cancer. Boris spent her final days in her home in Fenwick Island, Del.

In an email to the staff and PTSA listserv, Principal Christopher Garran articulated his appreciation for Boris’ dedication to her students.

“She was a dedicated and passionate advocate for our students and she was an admired colleague,” said Garran.

Counselor Joe Thompson expressed his esteem for Boris’ bravery during her battle with cancer. Boris was diagnosed in August 2004 and retired in January 2005.

“It was very important to her not to let this disease stop her,” said Thompson, who also worked with Boris at Springbrook High School.

Counselor Lisa Sorensen, who worked under Boris, cites her colleague’s personable nature and open leadership style.

“[Boris] was the one who made us a family,” said Sorensen. “She made WJ more than just a place to work. She made this school feel like a home.”

Sorensen remembers Boris’ cozy office, which was decorated to be a reflection of her caring personality and love of travel and the beach. Before she left, Boris asked each member of the counseling department to take something.

“I have a picture of the boardwalk at Bethany Beach in my office,” said Sorensen. “I look at it every day and it reminds me of her.”

While at WJ, Boris was known for her keen ability to form close relationships with her students.

“She called everything like she saw it, and I truly believe that her recommendation got my oldest son into college,” said Jo Brecher, mother of ‘05 alum Josh Peck. “She was really good in terms of keeping Josh on track for college. She knew kids very well. Not only was she a great educator, but she cared about her students as human beings; she cared about their personal growth.”

Boris gave some of her graduating seniors a copy of Dr. Seuss’ Oh, The Places You’ll Go!

“She really believed in her students and their abilities,” said Brecher, who stayed in touch with Boris after her retirement. “She believed in Dr. Seuss’ philosophy and she definitely cared about more than test scores and application logistics.”

Funeral services will be held on Thurs., March 26, at Christ the Savior Orthodox Church in Dagsboro, Del. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests contributions to the church.

0
0