Jazz Ensemble Takes First Place at Mid-Atlantic Festival

The WJ Jazz Ensemble won first place at the Mid-Atlantic Jazz Festival on Saturday, Feb. 19 after a full day of competition. The ensemble competed against schools from across Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania and D.C. The Hilton Rockville hosted the earlier parts of the competiton in the hotel atrium, which was open to the public for viewing and listening.

“It was an energetic feeling to see so many students and bands gather at one venue to celebrate and play one of the true American art forms: jazz,” said music department head Christopher Kosmaceski, who conducts the jazz ensemble.

After the initial competition in the hotel atrium, the jazz ensemble was selected by the judges as one of the three finalist ensembles to compete later in the day. The ensemble was then awarded first place.

“[It was] a chance to show off what we’ve worked on this past year,” said senior Marguerite Joutz, a trombonist in the ensemble.

Prior to the jazz festival, the musicians spent a great deal of time practicing for the event. Kosmaceski ran a particularly tight practice schedule, according to members of the ensemble.

“We have probably 30 to 40 minutes of practice a day,” said senior Ryan Biesecker, a trumpeter in the ensemble. “Outside of class, we’re expected to work on our individual parts, as well as sectionals. [For sectionals], all of the saxophones get together, all of the trombones get together, all of the trumpets get together, and they record an hour [of] practice to see if everyone got their part down.”

The ensemble will perform at the MSP Barnes and Noble Book Fair in Chantilly on Mar. 19, as well as the Chantilly Jazz Invitation on Mar. 26.

0
0