Sophomores Advance to National History Day Competition

After winning second place for their group documentary at Maryland History Day on April 28, sophomores Melanie Ackerman, Maddy Goldberg and Catherine Royston are set to participate at the national competition.

The girls mentioned they never expected to advance this far into the competition and expressed their emotions regarding the upcoming event.

“I’m excited to see how we compete with the rest of the country since everyone there will have accomplished the same thing we have in the success we had at states,” said Ackerman. “I’m also nervous to see the competition.”

The girls have been working on their documentary, “Stonewall and the Gay Rights Movement,” for months, and have been continually making changes to improve it.

“For nationals we’re most likely going to make some changes to our documentary so that the sound is a better quality and more fluid,” said Royston. “Also, we’ll have to prepare ourselves to be ready for any questions the judges may have.”

Competition aside, the girls said they have learned a lot from their experience. They have done extensive research and video editing, and are proud of their project.

“I’ve definitely gotten a sense of accomplishment from this,” said Goldberg. “I still find it hard to believe that all our hard work paid off this much.”

National History Day will take place June 10 to 14 at the University of Maryland.

0
0