News Update: Government Shutdown

The U.S. government is currently in the midst of a shut down, leaving only essential personal still working. Essential personal are still being paid, but could risk having their paychecks delayed if the shutdown lasts past Oct. 15. However, all active duty military members are being paid for the entirety of the shutdown. Non-essential personnel have been furloughed, meaning they are temporary laid off.

The shutdown is the result of a stalemate between the Republican and Democratic parties within the legislative branch, in regards to the upcoming implementation of Obamacare. Approaching Monday, Sept. 30, Congress had failed to fulfill their Constitutional duty of passing a spending bill necessary to continue funding the government. Their failure to come to a conclusion was due to  Republicans’ insistance that Obamacare be defunded, while Democrats remained firm in their belief in the program.

Republicans argue that the government will be overreaching and that universal healthcare will hurt employers, while Democrats contest this, saying that the program promotes equality and gives those who may have previously been denied healthcare a chance to receive help. In hopes of compromise, the Republicans have proposed a bill to postpone the implementation of Obamacare for a year, and to cut out the tax on medical devices that is incorporated into the program. However, they are open to other changes.

The legislative branch is able to pass a spending bill in order to reopen the government at any time, but due to political pressure neither side is willing to give in thus far. The outcome is still unclear, though eventually the government will have to reach a  compromise.

Source: The Washington Post

0
0