• The Pitch staff is on summer break and will resume publishing in September
  • The first day of school is Monday, August 26
  • Have a great summer!

Varsity girls’ soccer lose in the playoffs, complete strong season

• The team stands for the national anthem before their match against Winston Churchill HS. They would later lose to WCHS in the playoffs.

• Senior midfielder Charlotte Levine and Junior defender Josie Caggiano control the midfield against Richard Montgomery High School.

• Senior girls (from left to right) Julia Nestel, Katie Caggiano, Ariana Mondelli, Charlotte Levine, Bela De Campos, Ally Holden and Anna Nugent celebrate senior night.

• The team celebrates a one to zero win over rival Churchill.

• Senior Bela De Campos pressures a Churchill player on defense.

• Junior forward Izzy Orezzoli pushes the ball downfield against B-CC.

• Junior foward Emmi Mills wins a header against Churchill High School.

• Freshman midfielder Sydney Stein intercepts a pass.

• Junior right back Geneva Smith searches for teammates to pass to.

• Sophomore midfielder Nicole Caceres advances the ball in a win versus Watkins Mill High School.

• Senior right back Julia Nestel clears the ball out of the defensive zone.

• Junior forward Izzy Orezoli pushes forward against Watkins Mill High School.

• Senior midfielder Charlotte Levine defends against B-CC.

The girls’ varsity soccer team finished off a great season with a disappointing loss against Winston Churchill High School in the second round of the playoffs. Throughout the season, the girls surpassed their own expectations, beating many rival teams and highly ranked division opponents. Their final record was 10-1-1. Looking back, senior defender Isabela De Campos is happy with how her team progressed over time.

“The season started off rocky because we were a young team and needed to find our chemistry, but we turned it around after the preseason,” De Campos said. “We were really excited after beating Churchill and performed pretty consistently throughout the rest of the season.”

The team carried strong momentum into the playoffs but were defeated in a tough match. The loss against Churchill came as a surprise because the girls had beaten the Bulldogs earlier in the year with a score of one goal to zero. Nevertheless, head coach Joshua Kinnetz was proud of the team.

“We had a slow start to our playoff game, but made a nice adjustment to play to our potential in the second half. In the end we were unlucky.” Kinnetz said. “We had an excellent season and I was proud of our response to compete to the end.”

The coach’s positive sentiments were echoed by the team. They focused on their achievements during the season rather than the unfitting end.

“Despite our short playoff run, we were strong and grew a lot as a program which was really special to be a part of,” senior right back Julia Nestel said. “I am so grateful that my last season was with this amazing team.”

0
0