NFL recognizes and awards accomplished players

Mark J. Terrill
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers wins his second MVP award in a row at the NFL Honors for the 2021-2022 season. This is his 4th one, and the 2nd most in history.

The NFL has numerous awards recognizing accomplishments that players made throughout the regular season. The awards are chosen by 50 sportswriters at the end of the regular season and were announced on Feb. 10.

Most Valuable Player (MVP)
The MVP award is given out to the player that has impacted their team the most, or has been the most valuable and tends to be given to a quarterback. The frontrunners for the award this year were Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Cooper Kupp. Aaron Rodgers had a 111.9 passer rating, which was the best in the league. Rodgers also had a 37:4 touchdown to interception ratio. Tom Brady led the league in passing yards with 5,316 (4,115 yds. for Rodgers) and 43 touchdowns in the regular season. Kupp led the league in all receiving categories with 1947 rushing yards, 145 receptions, and 16 touchdowns. Rodgers won the award with 39/50 votes, Brady had 10 votes, and Kupp had one vote.

Coach of the Year
This award is given out to the best coach of the regular season. The coaches in the discussion were Zac Taylor (CIN), Matt LaFleur (GB), and Mike Vrabel (TEN). The Bengals were ranked 28th by ESPN before the season began and finished 9th in the league. Matt LaFleur and the Packers endured 36 total injuries throughout the season but still finished 13-4. Mike Vrabel, the coach of the Titans, sustained 53 injuries to their team throughout the season, including one to one of the best running backs, Derrick Henry. Vrabel still coached his team to the first seed in the AFC. Vrabel won with 36 votes.

Offensive Player of the Year
The offensive player of the year award is given out to the player who contributed the most to their team’s offensive performance. Cooper Kupp and Jonathan Taylor were the favorites for this award with the outstanding stats that they put up throughout the season. Kupp ended up winning with 35 votes, and Taylor had 10.

Defensive Player of the Year
The defensive player of the year is awarded to the player who had the best defensive performance this season. The players who were most likely to earn it this year were Micah Parsons and T.J. Watt. This was Micah Parsons’ rookie season and he ended the season with 79 tackles and 13 sacks. T.J Watt tied the record for the most sacks in a single season with 22.5 sacks and 58 total tackles. T.J Watt took the award with ease, getting 42 votes.

Rookie of the Year
The rookie of the year award is given to one offensive and defensive player who performed the best in their first year. There were tons of amazing rookies this year but the ones that stood out the most were Ja’marr Chase, Micah Parsons, Mac Jones, and Creed Humphrey. Ja’marr Chase finished the season with 81 receptions, 1455 receiving yards, and 13 touchdowns. Micah Parsons was a huge contributor to the dominance of the Cowboys’ defensive performance. Mac Jones finished with 3801 yards on 521 attempts and a 92.5 passer rating. Ja’Marr Chase won OROTY with 42 votes and Micah Parsons won DROTY with every single vote (50).

Comeback Player of the Year
CPOTY is for the player who made the biggest comeback in comparison to last season. The two players who were most likely to win the award were Dak Prescott and Joe Burrow. Dak Prescott threw for 4449 yards with 37 touchdowns. This season Burrow threw for 4611 yards with 34 touchdowns. Burrow won with 28 votes, 7 more than Dak Prescott.

1
0